twenty

selyse harrison

One of the housekeepers helped me set up all the Christmas decorations. I was trying to brighten things up because this was my first Christmas without my parents. I couldn't help but question how my parents were each spending their holiday. Were they happy or sad? I was happy. So happy about this Christmas that it scared me. But I finished my last exam this morning and it was a huge weight lifted off my shoulder.

"Wait, Belinda this is for you," I held the elevator door open before she could leave. She looked at the wrapped gift in my hands like it was a bomb. "It's from both Jack and I," I smiled, still nudging for her to take it. It's from Jack and I as in I chose the gift but he paid for it.

"This is so sweet. I...thank you," she fought the urge to hug me but I've always been a hugger so I pulled her into one.

Christmas wasn't for another two weeks. But her kids finished school and she was going to be home until after the New Year. She'd helped me buy the decor yesterday and we set it up today. The thoughts of Christmas kept my head occupied while Jack was out golfing. He didn't text much and it made me worried since he didn't leave with us on good terms. He called last night before bed and it was just to ask how my exams are. I hadn't heard from him since. But the list of things to worry about had dwindled.

Considering I was still seated here at the penthouse, it means Jack took care of Gabby and she never had the chance to tell him the truth. I'm not sure what that entailed, but I don't want to know details. My exams are over so I'm not as stressed. And my period is over and I can confidentially say I'm not as emotional. Now instead of being angry that Jack is gone, I really just miss him.

"Do you know anything about Hailey and Chloe?" I asked Davies while seated in the living room with him. Both him and Kent were staying in guest rooms until Jack got back home. For some reason I was growing curious of both these women.

"Hailey was recently married to Michael. The marriage was set up by her father, Nico."

"And Chloe?" I questioned.

"Engaged to Aiden. She's like yourself—an outside," he didn't go into much detail and it didn't bother me. At least he was giving me something.

"Jack says it's dangerous of the rest of his men to know about our relationship. He must really trust you and Kent," I played with the blanket on my lap. His face revealed that this wasn't really the case and there was more to it.

"It's not really that he trusts us above everyone else. It's about loyalty. But, he also has things to hold over our heads. The man knows how to get what he wants. The one thing he's good at is manipulating people and bending them to his will. It's the reason he makes such a good boss. Being on the receiving end of his manipulation isn't nice. But once you're his people, he will care for you like family," Davies further explained and I could tell how much he respected Jack just from the way he spoke about him. I wanted to ask what Jack could be using over his head, but that seemed personal. His explanation made sense as to why Jack left in the middle of the night to help his soldier who was being tortured by Michael. Jack's men are loyal to him and he's loyal to them.

"I'm having a hard time trusting Jack being away, if I'm being honest," I shared, knowing I could trust Davies. He was only a little bit older than Jack. But had no kids or wife.

"Why?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. My fear is unprecedented. But being hidden makes me feel like he would have nothing to lose by being with someone else. Sometimes Lauren's words linger in my head about Jack becoming tired of me. I worry he'll seek what our marriage is missing in other women," I admitted despite how wrong my feelings are. I had no actual reason to feel like this. I could never express this to Jack because I would only be reflecting my own insecurities which is exactly what I did the last time I saw him.