Chapter 1

The adorable image I am using for the cover is an awesome drawing made by modeststroke that they let me use! A huge thank you to them, and please go check out their works! :D

--------------

"Mairin," Alain hissed through gritted teeth. "Didn't I already tell you to leave me alone?"

Mairin paused, hesitating. She had been hoping to silently approach Alain, but as always he just seemed to know when she was around. She shifted, gulping as she tried to speak.

"If you'd just tell me what's wrong then I could help you," Mairin said softly, taking another step towards him.

The park around them was silent, empty due to the lateness of the night. She saw Alain tensing as she spoke, refusing to turn and face her. It was hard to make out his whole figure, his dark clothing blurring into the shadows. The nearest light came from a lamp post, the edges of its glow barely reaching Mairin.

Alain was sitting on a park bench, his back towards Mairin. His hands were curled into fists, his jaw gritting together as Mairin took another step towards him. Again she stopped, patiently waiting for him to speak once more. She hated it when Alain got like this– acting as if something could only be handled by him. Because every time he got this way it meant there was something that he needed help and support with– which was what she wanted to give!

"I don't need 'help', Mairin," Alain's voice was a growl. "I need space– something you seem incapable of doing!"

"That's because I know when you get like this the last thing you need is to be alone!" Mairin cried, taking another step towards him. "Didn't we promise not to do this again– not to keep things from each other and to help each other?! What happened to that, Alain! You're my best friend– and I just want to help!"

Alain stood up, and for a moment Mairin relaxed as he turned to face her, finally thinking she had gotten to him. That relief quickly feld when she his expression, even through the darkness of the night. Alain glared at her, blue eyes flashing, a look of pure outrage on his face. Mairin's eyes widened slightly, and she took a step back.

"Since when have you ever given help?" Alain spat, voice tense, yet controlled. "Do you think constant pestering is 'help', Mairin?" She opened her mouth to reply, but he kept talking. "You're eighteen, so one would think you'd finally grow up after all this time– but instead you keep acting like an insistent toddler."

Mairin took in a slow breath as he turned away. "I... I just want to be there to talk, Alain, th-that's what people need sometimes..."

"And sometimes we need to be left alone!" Alain roared, rounding on her. His voice echoed through the park, and Mairin couldn't help but stumble back in surprise. His tone was gruff, full of frustration and anger. "But you can't even understand something as simple as that– no matter how many times someone asks that of you! Instead you follow me about, ignoring the meaning of privacy, doing whatever you simply please!"

Mairin knew that he was upset, and knew he was just acting on that anger, but still the words hurt. She stood there, tears piercing her eyes as he continued, his frustration pouring from him.

"Is that your definition of 'best friend'?" Alain asked bitterly. "Chasing someone until they grow weary of sending you away? Never minding your own business and always getting in the way?" Alain spun so his back was facing her. "There– you got your precious chance to talk to me– now go mind your own freaking business."

With that Alain collapsed back onto the park bench, breathing heavily.

Mairin opened her mouth, but any words she attempted to speak remained in the back of her throat, choking her as she tried to force them out. Mairin only managed to make a small sputtering sound, her mind still reeling at his words. She stood there for a moment, hands shaking as she tried to gather herself.