Chapter 16

Alex wished he could be in his Pokeball during the ride.

The back of the van was horrible to ride in, the slick metal bottom of his crate providing no traction as it bumped along the road. He slid across the cage, crashing into the edges whenever they came to a harsh stop. The Charmeleon let out an exhausted huff, a worn growl escaping his throat.

The League had been far from gentle loading him into here, and he had to guess that they wouldn't be gentle with unloading him either. If it had been any other time, he would have been bitter with Alain for letting these men take him away, but all the desire to fight had been drained out of Alex.

He only felt sick, hoping that the baby was okay.

He couldn't be like that monster... it had to be okay...

"Mel!" He cried as the van came to a sudden stop, and his head slammed against the metal bars of his crate.

He warily raised his head as the engine was turned off, and he could hear the voices of humans as they opened doors. His tail flame flickered nervously, casting shadows across the dark back of the van. The vehicle was designed to carry multiple cages and crates, but he was the only one in here at the moment. He could hear footsteps, and his head whipped up as the back of the van opened up.

"That's the Charmeleon?" A rough male voice said, and a flashlight was cast over him. "That thing's huge!"

"Doesn't look too fierce though, does it?" Another one asked, watching as Alex tucked his tail in close to his body, slinking to the back of his cage.

"Don't let looks deceive ya– this one's dangerous," Another voice said– and this one Alex recognized. It was the voice of one of the men that had loaded him in here at the lab. "It has a history of attacking humans, it just landed a pregnant woman in the hospital."

Alex flinched.

There was a sound of a Pokeball opening, and a large blue Pokemon took shape in front of the Charmeleon. The Golduck glared down at him, gem gleaming in the dark. "Give him a strong Disable."

Alex braced himself as the water type's gem began to glow red. The same glow surrounding Alex, and he felt his energy being drained from him. His eyes widened in fear, not quite sure of what this attack was supposed to do. He instinctively slunk to the back of the cage, opening his mouth as he prepared a Dragon Pulse. However, as he tried to summon the draconic energy, the red glow flared up around him again. It didn't hurt– but the energy he needed for the attack frizzled away before it could even form. He frowned, attempting a Fire Fang instead, but again the same thing happened– the energy draining away, smoke drifting from his mouth.

"Now, its attacks may be disabled, but this thing still has claws and fangs, so be careful," One of the men said, and soon the four men had surrounded the crate. They grabbed the handles lining the sides, and lifted him up into the air. Alex stumbled and tripped, landing at the bottom of the crate as he was jerked about.

He didn't bother forming another attack, guessing that from their conversation that none of them would work. He simply laid there, waiting to see where they'd take him.

"Does this thing have a mega stone?!" One of the men cried in alarm as they caught sight of the blue gem around its neck. Alex's claws instinctively wrapped around his mother's mega stone, a growl building up in his throat.

"It's not like it can do anything without evolving," Another said. "The trainer said that it helps keep him calm, which is what we need, especially if this one is going to have a chance of going back to its trainer."

It was dark outside as they walked him across a parking lot.

"The trainer wants it back? I heard the one it attacked was his wife."