Chapter 5

"Mairin, they'll only let family in with you for something like this," Professor Sycamore said. "Out of all of us Alain's the only one that can go in with you."

"B-but..." Mairin said weakly, but could think of no counter argument as she helped the professor put the dishes away. She shifted her feet, her fingers dancing along the edges of a plate. "Then can I take myself?"

"...Please don't take this personally, but I don't think you should be driving right now," Professor Sycamore said. "It's just a small check up, Mairin, the doctor's just going to see if they can get any hint of what happened to you," The professor took the plate from her, since she was making no effort to put it away. "Mairin, you know you can trust Alain– he cares about you very much."

"B-but–"

"But what you remember happened years ago," Professor Sycamore said firmly. "I know you don't remember it– but Alain regrets what he said to you."

That's not why I'm worried... Mairin thought to herself, but she held her tongue. It was quite clear that Professor Sycamore wasn't going to let anyone else take her to see this specialist. And no matter how much space she wanted between her and Alain... she wanted a way to get her memories back more.

"...Why then?" Mairin asked. "Why did he do that? What was in that letter?"

Professor Sycamore closed the now-empty dishwasher. "That is a question you need to save for Alain. Just because time has past doesn't make it my story to tell. Now go make sure you're ready– you and Alain should be leaving soon if you want to get to Dr. Tambert's on time."

Mairin knew that she was now excused from the kitchen– and with an unnecessary huff she turned away from the professor and out into the hallway.

This morning had most certainly gone off better that yesterday– and waking up in her own room had most certainly helped. She still had felt queasy, and she wasn't sure if it was from the events of yesterday or the unsettling dream, but she had been able to eat a proper breakfast.

And now she was off to see a doctor about her amnesia.

With Alain.

"Ready?"

Mairin jerked her head up as she heard a familiar voice speak to her, and there stood Alain, a set of keys in his hand. He watched her with cold blue eyes, his black leather jacket on. Mairin noted it was a different one than from her last memory– but this one was of a similar design. Mairin figured he had finally outgrown his other one, or perhaps it had gotten ruined, and this was merely a replacement. He had gone through several since they first met.

"Y-yeah..." Mairin muttered.

"Good," Alain said. "You need to get out, you've been cooped up in the lab for long enough."

"It's only been a day," Mairin said uncertainly, following after him as they headed down the hallway. Alain let out a long sigh, and she could imagine the exasperated look on his face.

"No– the day before you lost your memories you didn't go out either. You said you weren't feeling up to it," He paused for a moment. "Remind me to mention that to the doctor– if you can even remember that."

He said the last part bitterly.

Her eyes narrowed– this wasn't her fault! Mairin opened her mouth to retort like she always did when Alain got this way, but the words got caught in her throat. She didn't know how to respond, and she felt her mind clamming up because of that. Sweat started forming on her skin, and she raised her hands to her head.