CLOSE GATE

Eleven's POV

We ran until the lab was far behind us. A car passed us by, and Barb hailed it down as I led a trembling Five into the back seat. Again, we were unsure of how much we should trust any car that decided to pick up a teenager and two children. But what choice did we have?

I told Five that he would be safe, but he seemed lost in his own world, in shock. Perhaps by the prospect of leaving that dreaded place and never being hurt again. Or because of the fact that we'd been chased by multiple snarling demon dogs. 

I looked towards Barb who was talking to the driver, and I was so happy she was alive. But it always seemed that way, as soon as we got Barb back, Two was lost to us again. 

Y/N POV

Time stood still. Literally. This was my only chance to escape it. 

I lost sight of the lab as I ran out the door, giving myself time to sprint and hide. I felt incredibly brace, yet incredibly stupid as I told Eleven to go. But at least I stood a chance. 

I was now hiding under a low bridge, hoping the demagorgon couldn't smell me. I could feel a tug in my chest, like a part of it that had entered me, was trying to rejoin its master. 

I could feel the shadow growing inside me, and a part of me knew that eventually, it could kill me.

I didn't want to die. Not whilst I was worried about Will. I needed to know he was safe. But I knew he wasn't, not with the gate open and the demagorgon able to roam free. 

I closed my eyes and tried to catch my breathe. The initial fear and adrenaline was declining, but I still kept my guard up, like I had the whole three weeks I'd been here. 

And now I didn't have Barb. I was truly alone. 

For the moment, I was hidden. But I knew it was only a matter of time when it found me and I wouldn't be strong enough to fend it off. 

I couldn't even see Will anymore. It felt like something was blocking me, there was a dark cloud around him and I couldn't see. But as soon as I got my strength up, I talked to Eleven.

Eleven... It's Two, can you hear me?

Long moments passed until I heard a soft, tired voice respond.

Two... is that you? 

Eleven's voice rang in my head, surprised and happy, yet exhausted. It was the sweetest music to my ears.

I closed my eyes and pretended she was here, with me, and that we could defeat the monster together. 

Yes, it's me. Did you get Barb and Five to safety?

Yes I did... It's strange, it seems that us, all the lab kids have this connection. I think ours is stronger, since we can talk this way... but the others. I can feel their presence. 

It felt bittersweet, knowing that we could perhaps find others like us one day. But I knew deep within me that if we somehow managed to defeat the monster, I would perish too. The monster was a part of me, and I had a feeling if the big demagorgon died, so would I. 

On the other hand, I would be trapped here forever if the demagorgon continued to live. 

Eleven... we need to find a way to defeat it. The demagorgon is too powerful, I can only hold it for so long, until it finds you. Until it finds you all.

Two, how do we do this? Mike told me Will is like a spy, he can see what the monster wants. 

The demagorgon is in... Will isn't it?...

... Yes. 

My heart painfully clenched in my chest, hurting more than any of the wounds I had sustained in the Upside Down. This was too much. They hadn't managed to get the monster out of Will. I knew there was little hope for me, but for Will... If only they could force it out somehow. 

Eleven, you have to help them.

I thought back to when I had first created the Upside Down. I held so many internal wounds that they just spread. But now, I had found a family, and friends. It was the kind of life I had always wanted, and to taste that life, if only for a little while was extraordinary. I craved it, and if I couldn't have it... neither could the monster I created. 

I knew what we had to do. 

Will's POV

I was clawing at myself. It was an internal battle that I was losing. "He likes it cold" Those words continuously rang in my head as the demagorgon took over. I was just a small presence in my mind, and I couldn't fight it without Y/N's help. I missed her so much, and I needed her more.

I prayed they wouldn't let me go. He couldn't be trusted.

Sometimes I felt Y/N, like she was trying to talk to me. But I couldn't hear her and each time I couldn't get to her I felt even more lost. 

My mum, Jonathon. I hoped they could think of a way to help me. I just wanted this to be over. 

There must be a way to trap it somehow, inside the Upside Down. Eleven had told me that she opened the gate accidentally. But what if she could do it again? 

Suddenly I heard a whisper in my head, and I gasped as I relished hearing the familiar voice. 

We must close the gate.