39 | foolish

"in the flesh," he replied, still smirking at me. "i must say aly, you've grown a lot since the last time i saw you. you're finally using a real gun."

"shut up. that doesn't matter," i seethed. "start talking."

"about what? the weather?" he snickered. "i don't need to talk to you about anything."

"why did you do all of this ryan? you were supposed to be my best friend and this is how you treat me? worse than jason?" i questioned. "after all i have done for you. i kept you well fed with a roof over your head and anything else you wanted!"

"times have changed. but what can i say? when you're desperate, you make irrational decisions." he shrugged his shoulders. "let's take you for example with your sick mother. you were desperate for money and were more than willing to do anything for her. look where you ended up now, kissing mccann's ass."

"you were never my friend," i muttered. "i hate you."

"the feelings mutual. by the way, a word of advice. if you have the nerves to point a gun at someone, you better have the nerves to pull the trigger." he said.

i turned off the safety and repointed the gun at him. i was having an internal fight with myself right now. ryan was my best friend, someone i went through thick and thin with. i couldn't possibly shoot my best friend, i just couldn't. i lowered my gun in defeat and cowardice.

"i figured you wouldn't shoot me." ryan said. he put his arms down and began stalking towards me.

"she won't do it but i will," i heard a voice speak behind me. a gun sounded off next and i watched as ryan collapsed to the floor.

he stared up at the ceiling, choking on his blood.

my heart was hurting for him to see him in pain like this but, he betrayed me. i watched as he lied there, trying to catch his breath before he took his last one. it was painful but he deserved it.

i heard footsteps walk up to me and stand next to me. i looked over and saw jason looking at ryan as well.

"he was never your best friend to begin with." jason said. "let's go. i have my kid."

"but what about jackson?" i inquired.

"he's not even here. how about we get out of here before he randomly shows up?" he suggested.

i took one last look at ryan's lifeless body before following behind the group of them. we walked out to the car safely besides people who were still alive and on the ground. other than that, we were safe.

the car ride home, everyone was talking about the great time they had. jason didn't let go of his kid since we left the place. chantel looked rather helped so it seemed like ryan and jackson took very good care of her. she fell asleep just a few short minutes ago.

i wanted to fall asleep but it seemed like every time i tried to doze off, the sound of the gun sounding off kept replaying in my head. i think i even heard the sound of ryan's skull shattering now that i come to think of it.

i rested my head against the window and stared out of it, not saying a word until we got home.

* * *

"i would like to propose a toast to the man of hour, jason mccann. none of this would have been possible without you bro! cheers to you," laurence held his glass up. the rest of the guys and jason joined in, holding their glasses to the air. even chantel held her bottle of apple juice up. they all took a sip of their beverages and set the glasses on the table.

i didn't participate because jason was taking all the credit even though i blatantly told everyone that i came up with the plan. can't always have what you want i guess,

the night progressed on and my tolerance for jason's arrogance was thinning. i really have to stop letting him get under my skin. i did my best to avoid him at all costs. anytime he came remotely near me, i moved away with no questions asked.

chantel starting approaching me with a paper in her hand. she sat in the chair next to me and began talking. "i drew you and daddy a picture." she handed me the picture and i looked at it. she got up from her seat to further explain the picture. "this right here is you, that's me in the middle and that's daddy. i also drew a puppy because i wanted to."

"it's beautiful," i said to her. "thank you for this. i'll hang it up in my house when i get home." if it's not a crime scene still. i had forgotten that austin's dead body was rotting in my house. oh my, how the hell was i going to get rid of the smell of death in there?

she smiled and ran back in the direction she came. i placed the paper on the table and continued looking at it. chantel drew it making it seem like everyone was so happy, smiling. everything was the polar opposite but i hadn't dare corrupt the little girl's brain. she's already been through enough.

candy came outside from the party and joined me. "told you," she said.

"what?" i replied.

"he doesn't care about you or your feelings."

"if you came out here to guilt trip me, i suggest you go back inside."

"girl, just leave him alone. accept the fact he doesn't want you."

"candy, i swear to god i will beat you to death with the very chair you're sitting in right now. do not try me." i threatened her. i meant every word i just said to her.

"you can beat me up all you want but you have to deal with the fact he doesn't want you. i told you not to fall in love with him and look what you did, fall in love with him. now he has you looking like an idiot." she continued. "you two were never meant to be. hell,
you're not even compatible! tell me one cancer that's been with a gemini?"

i sent candy a blank stare, my right eye was twitching in both anger and sadness. i told myself i wasn't ever going to cry over him and i think i was about to break that promise.

_____________

a/n: i listened to the song up above and it sort of applies with these past couple chapters.

ashanti has some bops

song playlist for this book coming soon ;)))))

until next time readers...

omg also, next chapter is possibly the last.. maybe