41 | where it all ended

* some months later *

starting over was exactly what we did. jason and i were on better terms now. it was no longer petty conversation after petty conversation. i was able to have a civil conversation with him and no one would get annoyed at one another.

it's like everything was meant to be now.

chantel turned six about a few weeks ago and it was quite the bash for her. but as jason said: 'go big or go home.' and go big was exactly what we did.

currently, i was getting some work done in and around my house. i convinced my mother to finally move in so i didn't have to travel miles to see her. she was doing a lot better too. whatever medicine the doctors gave her worked.

i was happy to see her out of that hospital and back at home, where she belongs.

chantel was running around the house with her new puppy. jason didn't agree with it but it was something to keep her company. no one around here was really her age and she needed new playmates anyways.

for now, everyone was adapting back to life here in florida.

chantel came running to the front of the house, dragging the poor puppy behind her.

"chantel, you're going to hurt the dog." jason warned. "and you don't want to hurt the puppy now, do you?"

"no, daddy." she replied. "i'm sorry."

"it's all good sweetheart. next time, don't drag the puppy like it's a rag doll. it's a live animal."

"i'll remember, i promise." chantel ran back in the direction she came, leaving jason and i to talk with one another.

"how times have changed," i said. "chantel's growing up and we're working towards being better people."

"and giving me beautiful grandkids." a voice spoke from behind me. really mom? you had to show up now?

"mom. enough," i warned her.

"i want to see those kids before this medication kills me," she continued. "and there's the handsome devil. how do you do jason?"

"very good ms. rhodes, thank you." jason smiled. "how are you doing?"

"glad you asked actually unlike my disrespectful daughter," she cut her eyes at me. "i've been feeling very good all thanks to you and your help. it really meant a lot to me and aly. she might not tell you often but i'd be glad to do so."

"no need," jason responded. "it's the least i can do for my soon to be mother-in-law."

"maybe in a million years," i chimed in.

"cut that out aly bear!" my mom slapped my arm. "you better be nice to him or else you'll end up marrying him."

"i never planned on not doing so. but that's for a later time. for now, we live our lives."

"and stop committing horrendous crimes," she added.

"no promises." jason smirked.