12

I walk into Hudson Airways with sunglasses on and a splitting headache from last night's drinking session at the bar. I see Sarah sitting behind her desk and she has a smile on her face. "Good morning, Arabella." She says, sweetly.

It makes me sick how sweet she actually sounds after the way she treated me yesterday on my first shift.

I walk into my office and sit behind the desk which is piled up with blue folders that are tagged and a yellow stick-it note on the top one.

Arabella,
          Please type all these up and put them in new folders by the end of the day.

-​Nico

How am I supposed to have it done by the end of the day when there's heaps of folders on my desk? Looks like I'll have to ask the temp for some help.

I flip through the documents and keep the important ones for myself. I walk out of my office and head over to Violet who is having a conversation with Sarah.

Sarah whispers something to Violet and she turns towards me. "What have you got in your hands?" she sneers.

"I need you to type these up and put them in a light blue folder that's marked correctly. I have a lot to get through today and these are the ones that I know I won't have time for."

She takes them from me. "A good secretary would do all of this without making a part-timer finish off the work she doesn't want. I have other things I need to do before my shift finishes at 2pm."

I walk back to my office and start on the important documents that Nico needs done.

***

At two Violet walks into my office with the folders and she drops them on the table. "You're work is done. I hope that you tell Nico I was one that did most of the work." she points to what I have left on the table. "I would have expected you to be through all of that by now. You're not really good at this job. I think you take credit for other people's jobs and take their rewards from them like you do jobs."

I point to the door. "Get out!"

She walks to the door. "Tell Nico I quit and that he can shove the reference where the sun don't shine, you cheap whore." She grabs her bag and runs from the office.

Alex and Nico walk into my office shortly after her outburst and they demand me to tell them what happened.

I look at them and tell them the story from the beginning. By the time I'm finished Alex doesn't look too happy. He also doesn't like the way that I've been disrespected from the moment I walked into Hudson Airways.

Nico shakes his head. "I should have known something like this was going to happen when I hired a temp to cover for my secretary until I could hire someone else."

I give Nico the folders that Violet did. "These are the ones that Violet typed up. You should make sure she did them properly. Also, I'm not going to come into the office for a bit, Nico. I think things need to cool down for a bit before I return. However, I would still like to go with you to New York. I can meet you here tomorrow before we leave?"

A smile spreads across Nico's face. "That sounds good to me. I'm not going to let you leave this office for a couple weeks without pay, so I'm going to send work home with Alex for you to complete while you're not in the office."

"Okay," looking at all the folders on the desk. "Do you mind if I take all these home with me tonight and deliver them to you tomorrow. It's far too much work for me to complete in one day."

Nico looks at Alex before he says. "I don't like documents leaving this office, but since you're related to my business partner I'm going to allow it. You'll have to put the work into a briefcase as I don't want people to see what you're taking home with you."