This Can't Be Happening

I made it to Scranton about 5 am. I texted Ryan, who told me which hospital they were at and I took a cab there. My stomach was doing front flips because I was so nervous. I hadn't seen the guys in over a year, and it was making me sick to my stomach.

I walked in and scanned the waiting room and instantly spotted Ryan. Chris and Balz were asleep.

I walked over and sat down. "What the hell happened?" I asked.

"Ange was driving home and some drunk idiot hit him head on." Ryan said.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. This can't be happening. I thought to myself.

"Ricky?" Balz had woken up.

"Hey." I said.

I don't believe I ever seen Balz jump up so fast and practically into my lap, ever. Ryan shook Chris awake. "Look whose back." he told him.

"No way. I'm fucking dreaming, aren't I?" Chris said.

"No, man. I'm really here...currently being choked by Balz." I said.

I had to pry Josh's arms off my neck so I could breathe. Chris got up and and gave me a hug.

"It's good to see you man...sucks that we had to reunite on these terms." Chris said.

I nodded.

"How's Ange?"

"Not sure..the doctor's haven't spoken to us yet." Ryan said.

As if on command, a nurse came out and looked at us, the four of us stood up.

"Is one of you named Ricky?" she asked.

I raised my hand. "Will you come with me?" she asked.

"We'll be here." Chris said, pushing me forward.

I followed the nurse down the hall and into a room. Angelo was hooked up to all these monitors. Seeing my best friend like this, almost brought tears to my eyes, but I held it in.

"He wanted to see you." the nurse said.

I walked in.

"Ange?" I said, sitting down next to the bed.

He looked horrible.

"Ricky?" he asked.

I noticed one thing, he couldn't see.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I can't see." he said.

I took his hand, he squeezed it. "Don't worry, I'm here."

"I just...I just wanted to say...I love you and you've always been my best friend." he said.

I heard the beeping noises change speed and looked up at them and then back at Angelo. "I love you too...I'm so sorry for sleeping with Kenzie." I said.

Angelo chuckled. "She's a whore."

I smiled. "Yeah, I know."

"Tell...tell the other guys...tell..them I love them..okay?"

"I will."

He didn't say anything else after that. "Angelo?" I asked.

And then I heard a sound that I never wanted to hear, ever. Angelo flat lined and passed away, just like that.

--

I don't remember walking away from his room, or getting back into the waiting room.

"Ricky, what's wrong?" Balz asked me.

"He.." I said.

I was shaking.

"What happened?" Ryan asked.

The three of them were crowded around me now. "He...he's gone." I said.

I didn't have to explain what I meant by that because they knew. Ryan hugged me as I started crying. Balz was getting upset again and Chris held him, to control him from hitting a wall.

So, the love of my life had moved on and my best friend had just died. Yeah, my life couldn't get any worse then it already was.