Chapter 6

EDITED.

MELINDA ABELLA

It was unnaturally cold for a summer night, especially one in southern Jersey. I could feel the breeze through the open window in my room for the summer, so I swiftly walked across the room to close the window and lock it.

I was content to change into my pjs and jump into the huge bed so neatly made and completely demolish it. I had my pants around my ankles when the door to my room was ripped open.

"Boundaries people!" I screamed as I scrambled to pull my skinny jeans back on.

"You're coming with us. Now" Mack picked my sweatshirt off the ground and flung it at me and I struggled to put it on without falling down the staircase.

"Why exactly are we going next door?" Nicole asked, clutching her arms around her body in an attempt to keep warm since she foolishly went out in only her soccer t-shirt and shorts.

"You'll see!" Mack said and smirked, running ahead as we sprinted to catch up to her.

"Why are we in the neighbors driveway?" Brittany said in between pants from our short run.

"You'll see!" Mack exclaimed yet again.

"You're really starting to get on my nerves, blondie" I said, hugging my sweatshirt closer to my body as a gust of wind passed through.

"Hey guys I'm back!" Mack screamed as she unlatched the fence door to the backyard.

"This is breaking and entering, right? I really don't feel like going to the police station because of something Mack did" Nicole paused her whispering to me, "again"

"No, she knows these people. I hope" I said and Nicole, Brittany and I skeptically stepped into the backyard.

The backyard was empty, but trashed beyond belief. Cups and plates half filled with suspicious food lay on the ground and tables. Deflated beach balls were scattered and it looked like someone puked up confetti in the grass.

I looked up from the pool, which deeply enticed me, to see that both Brittany and Nicole had disappeared. I shrugged and sat at the pools edge to dip my feet in, even though the bottoms of my skinny jeans were getting soaked.

"That isn't good for your jeans you know. The chlorine makes the color fade" I stopped looking at the swirls I made in the water by moving my feet in circles to see Mikey Fusco towered over me, eyeing my pants with a look of concern.

I jumped out of the water, climbing back on my own two feet to introduce myself. I soon realized just how bad of an idea putting my feet in the water was, because the slickness of them matched with the friction-less marble surrounding the pool caused me to slip and fall.

"Oh God are you okay?" Mikey rushed over, grabbing my arms in an attempt to help me up.

"That is a major safety precaution" I muttered while rubbing the back of my head that hit into the marble flooring pretty hard.

"Do you have a concussion? What's your name? Where do you live? Oh shit I've never met you before I couldn't know where you live! Should we go to a hospital?" He interrogated me as his hands clasped my arms, us facing each other and the wind ceasing for only a moment.

"Mikey, Mikey I am fine, you don't need to take me to a hospital, but you do need to calm down. I'm Melinda Abella by the way" I said and he visibly relaxed, taking his hands off my arms and breaking eye contact. I slipped back into my shoes and looked up at him, realizing he had a good 5 inches on me.

"Oh, you're Mack's cousin right? I thought you were just another nameless party-goer" He sighed and led me towards the patio, "hey, how'd you know my name?"

"I am a huge fan" I blushed and looked down at my shoes, studying the jewels that were on the tip of my black flats.

"It's always great to meet a fan, Melinda" He smiled and gave me a quick side hug, "And if you're such a big fan, there are some other people here you might want to meet" the two of us walked up the patio stairs and I saw the rest of the ICONic Boyz just sitting around the table, playing cards with Mack, Brittany and Nicole.

"Holy shit" I exclaimed and all eyes were on me. Mikey just chuckled and sat down before saying "Guys, I found Mack's other cousin!"

I was soon greeted by warm smiles and started playing cards with them, trying to ignore the fact that Mikey's chair kept sliding closer as the night went on.

Turns out a summer away from home was shaping up to be the best one yet.