✿4✿ Me and My Big Mouth

Chapter Four

Me and My Big Mouth

“Let me show you guys to your cabin,” Curly Haired said, as he led us away from his car and towards our designated cabin.

“Okay,” I said, following him. Agnès followed behind me.

“So Agnès,” I heard Clark say, from behind me. “How old are you?”

Dix-huit,” she said.

“Deece-wheat?” Clark repeated, confused.

“Scarlett,” Agnès said, bouncing over to me.

“What?” I said, even though I knew what she was probably going to ask me.

Comment dit-on ‘dix-huit’ en anglais?”

I rolled my eyes. What is it with language learners and their inability to memorize numbers? Is it seriously that difficult? “Eighteen,” I said.

“Oh, I’m eighteen, too!” Clark said, when he heard me.

“What? Are you going to date her?” I asked, spinning around to face him.

Clark blushed. “I was not implying that.”

“I hope you know that she’s leaving America right after the camp’s over, so blow out that dream of yours right now. Like literally. Stomp it out. Right now.” I pointed to the ground.

He wrinkled his nose at me. “You’re very mean, you know that?”

“No, but I have been told to have a very…” I paused for a moment, trying to come up with the correct words to describe myself. When I thought of it, I said, “Colorful personality.”

“How old are you?” he inquired.

“Does it matter?”

“Well, this is a sixteen to nineteen years old camp, so I know right off the bat that you must be somewhere in that age range…” Clark put a finger to his lips and pondered for a second. “You look nineteen. Are you nineteen?”

I felt myself blush—from anger. Do I seriously look older than what I actually am? “I’m seventeen,” I said, through clenched teeth.

“Hey, can we continue this conversation later? I need to get you guys over to your cabin so that I can help David set up for the meeting later this evening,” Curly Haired said. There was a hint of irritation to his voice, but he had a small smile on his lips.

“Sure, sure,” I said, waving him off. I started walking again. Did you know that lugging a suitcase across uneven dry dirt is an arduous task? I was literally exerting forces as strong as the Earth’s gravity right now on my arms.

“I’ll first show you your cabin,” Curly Haired said. I was the only one who was actually walking beside him at the moment, since the two lovebirds-in-the-making were trailing a few feet behind us.

“Am I sharing it with my cousin?” I deadpanned.

He laughed. “You don’t like her, do you?”

“You’ve asked me a lot of questions today. I don’t want to answer anymore.”

Curly Haired ran a hand through his curly-as-fudge brown hair and let out a deep breath. “You’re not just sharing your dorm with her. There’ll be two other girls you’ll be sharing it with, too.”

“Oh, good,” I said, sighing in relief. I could never handle sharing a room with Agnès only.

“Cheer up, Scarlett,” he said. “You’re at Camp Cactus!”