You Make Up - Preference

>> Steve <<

It's been about a week and a half since you left your note in Steve's apartment and walked out of his life. It killed you to leave him, you still cared about him after all, but it was something you had to do. Today Fury called the whole team into a meeting about an upcoming mission. No one was expecting Steve to show up, considering he hadn't been at work since he ran off to find Bucky. Everyone filed into the conference room and sat down around the large table, trying to ignore the unusually empty seat at the end of it. Fury began his speech about the building layout and goal of the mission. About ten minutes into Nick's barrage of information, the door opened to reveal a man that hardly anyone could recognize. He stood in a pair of jeans, a skin tight t-shirt, unkempt hair and a beard. Steve.

The whole team stared at him dumbfounded as he shuffled into the room and took his seat.

"Carry on," he rasped. He looked terrible, like he completely stopped caring for himself. You all turned your attention back to Fury, but you couldn't help but notice Steve's gaze in your peripheral vision. He didn't take his eyes off of you for even a second. You wanted to run out of the room, down the hall and out the front door without looking back, but that wasn't an option. Once the briefing finished, everyone filed out of the room to go their separate ways and prepare for the mission. You made a beeline for your room, but a large hand on your arm stopped you.

"Y/N, can I talk to you?" he asked. You steeled yourself and refused to turn around.

"Now you want to talk?" you replied.

"Yes. Can you please look at me?" he begged. You hesitated, then slowly turned to meet his gaze. Now that you were closer to him, you could see the bags under his eyes and the lines in his forehead. He led you to the couch to sit down, then he stared deeply into your eyes. "There's no excuse for the way I treated you, so I'm not going to make any. All I want to say is that I'm sorry. I was so caught up with finding Bucky that I forgot about the woman I love. I understand. I would have left me, too. I'm a horrible boyfriend."

You sighed at his words.

"You're not a horrible boyfriend. You care about your friend; there's nothing wrong with that. I never wanted you to forget about him, I just wanted you to not forget about me," you admitted, mumbling the last part.

"But I did, Y/N, I forgot about you. I can't even forgive myself for how I treated you, so I won't ask you to, either. I'm sorry Y/N," he apologized. He let go of your arm and made his way toward the door, unable to keep looking at you without crying. He turned the knob and started to walk out. It was then that you realized just how much you needed him, and how much he needed you.

"Steve!" you called. He stopped and kept his head held low.

"Yes?" he answered.

"How about a second chance?" you offered with a teary-eyed smile. His eyes shot up and he stared at you warily.

"Really?" he questioned.

"Really," you confirmed. Without thinking, he ran back to you and gathered you into his arms, holding on like it meant his life. After a few seconds he rested his forehead against yours and closed his eyes.

"Im sorry. So, so sorry," he whispered.

"I know, it's ok," you reassured him, reaching your hand up to his cheek. Your thumb travelled along his jaw, feeling the roughness of his new beard.

"I really need to shave, don't I," he joked.

"Nah, it's growing on me," you grinned. He chuckled and placed his lips on the tip of your nose, causing you to scrunch up your face.