VII

the next morning i wake up and jenna's already out of bed , probably downstairs making breakfast .

i crawl out of bed and get ready , quickly as possible too , i'm eager to get downstairs and eat .

once i'm downstairs i walk to the kitchen, boxes still everywhere in the bare rooms . packing was hard enough , i have a feeling unpacking will be just as hard .

i walk over to jenna , who was , as i assumed , making breakfast by the stove , and give her a quick kiss on the cheek and then pick up a piece of bacon .

"'morning ," i say casually and sit down .

she doesn't answer me , she keeps cooking .

"what's wrong ?" i ask . although i know it's because today's going to be super stressful .

but she still doesn't answer .

"jenna ?"

she turns towards me .

"you did it again . i thought we agreed two nights ago we were done sneaking out ."

"i couldn't sleep ." i say .

"then wake me up . it's hard enough as it is , tyler , having to wake up freezing because you left the window open ."

"i'll need to get back in ."

"you came in through the front door . the window was still open this morning and i know you would've shut it for me ."

it's true.

she gave me a smile that i read as "i'm right , you're wrong" and she turned back to cooking .

"so i'm not in trouble then ?" i say , just trying to keep the conversation going . i like her voice in my ears .

"i guess not ." she says , and i can hear the smile on her lips .

"sick ."

***

after a nice big breakfast , we start unpacking , which i was wrong , was easier , but it may have helped that jenna already planned where everything was going to be . once we finished she asked me to take the rest of the boxes downstairs while she went out to meet a friend . i'm assuming it's to talk about the new house .

i walk downstairs, it's cold , but it's sweet . it reminds me of a safe place . usually basements are uncomfortable, but this one has something about it . i can feel the cool air give me goosebumps , but the good kind .

i smile .

it's perfect .

a beautiful house , bought with my beautiful girlfriend . i sit on the carpeted floor . it's soft . the warmth against my skin suddenly gives me the shivers .

i forget i had it in my pocket , i could feel the little box as i sat down . i reach for it and take it out . i examine the black velvet , and i open it to see inside the ring i had specially made for her . words engraved into the shiny gold that will soon (hopefully) be lying on her finger , shown off to her friends , followers , family, me .

and the thought , her , with me , forever . i cant help but smile again .