VIII

i'm asleep on the couch when jenna gets home , but the sound of the door opening wakes me . i look behind me at the front door and see her walking in , smiling . she has such a beautiful smile . i like the way her lips form a curve and her perfect teeth  shine behind them , and how her nose crinkles just slightly , but i think the best part about her smile is the way her eyes shine , how you can tell she's happy , that she's not faking it .

she looks at me . "why are you smiling ?"

i stand up . "no reason ," i walk over to her , "how was everything ?"

"it was fun , though they got my order wrong ."

"that's fine , was it still good ?"

"it was perfect ."

***
the next day , we plan to go grocery shopping again , apparently jenna wasn't please with what i had bought .

we go to the same walmart i went to , money is running low and this is the cheapest place around .

we walk in and start picking out very specific things , like instead of frozen pizza , jenna got us , cheese , sauce , flour , spices , etc .

she does like to cook , and i'm 100% positive her pizza will taste a whole lot better .

while we're here , i decide to head to the one record corner i've been meaning to check out . i quickly kiss jenna and tell her i'll be back and if she needs me i'll be there , and walk over .

there's a boy there , checking out some cheap drums , he has blue hair , kinda tall , muscular .

i walk over anyways and start looking at some queen records . he notices and walks over .

he picks up a beatles album . "i would much rather you get this record instead ."

i look at him , he has a kind face , a nice smile .

"but queen is so much better ."

"but the lead singer is dead ."

"and so are half of the beatles ."

he puts it back . "i see your point ," he holds out his hand , "i'm josh ."

i take it , "tyler ."

"i haven't seen you here before . are you new ?" he asks when i let go of his hand .

"yeah , my girlfriend and i moved here about a week ago ."

"so i take it you and your girlfriend are serious then . the real deal ?"

"the real deal , yes ." i say , maybe a bit to repulsive .

"sorry , i didn't mean to offend ," josh said obviously understanding that i did not like that question at all . "i just mean that moving in together is a big step ."

"it is , we're very excited , she's just getting some actual food for the house right now ."

"so she's here ?"

"yeah ."

"then i can meet her ?"

i must look taken aback . i try to cover it up , but for just some reason , i don't want him to meet her , and i wish i hadn't told him about her .

but before i can say anything , i can hear her voice from behind me calling my name ,

"hey tyler , do you want white cheddar mac and cheese or ?"

i turn and look at her , "it doesn't matter , what ever you want ."

i smile and take her hand , pulling her closer , and then look back at josh .

"this her ?"

"the one and only ."

they smile at each other and shake hands .

"i'm josh ."

"jenna , it's so nice to meet you ."

he let's go of her hand and looks back at me , "so i'll see you later ?"

"for ?" i ask trying to remember if we made plans .

"just around ," he adds .

"oh , right ." i smile a little .

"sick ."

he walks away , leaving the store with nothing and i'm assuming headed home . jenna and i walk to the counter and buy our things and walk home , laughing . it made me happy . i was happy .

with her , i am happy .