vi. september twenty-second

CHAPTER VISEPTEMBER TWENTY SECOND !

CHAPTER VI
SEPTEMBER TWENTY SECOND !

Imogen held her cat close to her chest as she watched Johnny try to sign some things she had taught him earlier. Imogen attempted to draw a few of the easier signs in her journal. They'd been working at it for a few days and Johnny was catching on. He could easily say hello, goodbye and knew how to introduce himself. He couldn't quite carry a conversation just yet.

She clapped her hands together when Johnny finishes repeating the signs. "Good," She signs and then gives him a thumbs up.

Johnny smiles and closes the journal. He moves to sit beside her rather than across from her. Imogen lets the cat go and she leans back on her hands.

"It's kind of cold," Johnny says slowly when getting Imogen's attention.

Imogen nods, indicating she understood. She moved herself a bit closer to Johnny. Imogen reached for her notebook,

Want to go inside?

Johnny shrugged in response.

I should probably head home soon.

Imogen frowned but nodded. He stood and held out a hand to Imogen. She took it happily and quickly stood up. She wiped off her skirt and smiled at him.

"So this is where little Johnny has been disappearing off to!" Someone shouts.

Imogen, noticing the blush spreading on Johnny's face, looks around in confusion.

"Spying on me?"Johnny asks the approaching pair.

"No," Dally replies, "We were actually heading to your house to see if you wanted to hang, but now I see you're already busy."

Two-Bit laughs obnoxiously and Johnny crosses his arms defensively. Imogen turns around to see two boys standing there with smirks plastered on their faces.

"The names Dallas Winston," The taller one with light brown hair says.

Imogen only stares at him. She turns to look at Johnny only to find him hiding his face behind his hands. Imogen frowns and turns back to the two boys. She recognized them, or at least she's seen Johnny walk with them before.

"This is Imogen," Johnny introduces. He places a hand on her shoulder, making her jump. "Imogen this is Dally and Two-Bit."

Imogen continues to stare, not realizing Johnny had introduced her.

"Now you guys should probably go," Johnny says, trying to push them away.

"C'mon Johnny," Dallas complains, "Let us talk to her!"

"No," Johnny says, "She doesn't like talking."

"Oh, what a perfect match!" Two-Bit jokes but Johnny rolls his eyes.

"I'll catch up with ya later," Johnny reassures them.

"See ya later, man," Dallas says and throws an arm around Two-Bit to lead him away.

Johnny sighs and turns back to Imogen who was frowning deeply.

What's wrong.

Imogen hesitates before writing, Those your friends?

Yeah.

Imogen nods and doesn't say anything else.

They can be a little much. Johnny writes to her.

Why didn't you let me meet them?

Johnny has no response for her and she clutches the journal to her chest.

"I should go," Johnny says slowly when she turns to look at him.

Imogen nods and watches him leave.