T W E N T Y - F O U R

Once the four had left the dense pack of dead trees, they didn't pause. An obvious trail led towards the valley below, switching back and forth like a jagged scar on the mountain surface. They agreed they'd hike quickly but safely, then book it once they were on flat land. The terrain was a good way to break an ankle or a leg, if that happened then they'd never make it.

Aris went down first. Followed by Amelia, then Thomas and lastly, Teresa. Aris had informed them that both Group A and B were fine and were on their way in the right path. Just like that, Thomas could see two separate packs of people in the desert below.

Amelia walked next to Thomas. "This is a nice change of scenery," she commented.

"It's a desert full of emptiness and Cranks and death," Thomas snorted.

"I was being sarcastic."

"Never thought I'd meet someone more sarcastic than Minho."

"Minho will kill me if you say that in front of him," she chuckled. Thomas snickered. They continued to walk in silence after that. Until Teresa spoke from behind them.

"So, guess I'll start the story from where we left off." Thomas just nodded. Still, his mistrust of Teresa itched at him, he didn't want to be overly nice.

She just started to explain. She began from after their rescue and during the night when she and Amelia were taken by people in weird suits. She explained how she wasn't able to talk to him telepathically. But was blocked. Then she started to talk in his head.

You can hear me perfectly now, right? Teresa asked.

Yeah. Did you and Aris really talk while we were in the Maze?

Teresa didn't reply. Thomas looked back at her, she had a worried look on her face.

What's wrong? he asked. He turned his attention back to the trial before he did something stupid like trip and go tumbling down the mountain. Amelia was ahead of him, next to Aris. Neither of them talked, really.

I don't wanna go into that yet, Teresa answered.

Go into what? Thomas tried as hard as possible to shout in her mind. She stayed silent a few seconds longer before finally answering.

Yeah, he and I have been talking since I first showed up in the Glade. Mostly while I was in that stupid coma.

"Why'd you guys suddenly stop talking?" Amelia asked, bringing the telepathic duo's attention to her. "You yappin' about us inside those pretty little heads of yours?"

Aris snickered. It took every ounce in Thomas not to stop and turn around to talk to Teresa.

"Shuck it. Just keep talking," Thomas grumbled. He continued to walk and kept his mouth and brain shut. Teresa sighed and explained.

"They had everything calculated. All for the Variables. From Amelia being removed from her memories to now. I don't know how it all fits together," Teresa concluded. Amelia scoffed.

"Well, none of this crap makes any sense to me. And excuse me for feeling a little ticked off," Thomas said as he slowly shakes his head. He didn't want to talk to her anymore.