Chapter Twenty-Six

The moment of suspicion evaporated, like a bubble of tension popping to release as mist. It trailed behind us, escaping through the pores of my body and leaving me feeling calm but excited. Aware. We walked away from Tina, rounding the corner to enter the hallway leading to the library.

I slapped David's arm and he laughed, deep and soothing. I didn't mind Tina leaving, but what was her problem? Dare I ask? Last time I asked that question, it had taken me two deaths to work my way out of the answer. Whether there was a third was still to be determined. I might do stupid things sometimes—okay, a lot of the time—but I wasn't dumb.

"So where are you from?" I asked, shutting thoughts of Tina out of my mind.

I pulled open the library door, pausing for him to pass. It beat getting bonked in the head again, though amazingly enough, that had never bruised. Besides, coming in behind David wasn't without its perks.

By the time we cleared the entrance beside the check-out counter, it was clear I wasn't alone with the sentiment. Every girl in the library, including the librarian, looked up to watch as he entered the room. I felt like I was carrying a statement art piece they all expected me to leave behind to enhance the room's beauty. But David wasn't a stationary object, and he didn't seem like the kind of guy someone, least of all me, could lay a claim to. Perhaps it is just because he's the new kid, not because he was good looking.

"Around is a bit vague." I glared at the other girls as if to say, "Get your own."

"Well," he said, and pointed to an empty table in the far-right corner, just before the rows of computers, "I think I've been everywhere at least once."

"Huh, okay..." I rolled my eyes and set my books on a table, sitting in one of the uncomfortable metal chairs to look up at him. "Where was the last place you lived?"

"Vancouver."

Catching sight of his scar, I forced my gaze away. I looked down at the table and began fingering the seams of my bag, whispering, "How... city of you."

He took the seat beside me. "It was only for a month, so don't judge. I like smaller places. Everyone knows each other and watches out for one another, you know? That crap with Mr. Tinsley? Probably wouldn't happen in a small town."

"You don't think Hidden Springs is a small town?"

"I've been around, remember? If you were a small town, you wouldn't need two high schools, and Mr. Tinsley would have been flogged."

"Mr. Tinsley's a pervert," I said through clenched teeth. I couldn't stop hoping someone would come forward so that he would be dealt a swift punishment, something harsher than before where the only person who might die was him. "I'm glad he was busted."

"Maybe he was just trying to spice up the learning material?"

Looking back up to find David watching me, I said, "No, he's a pervert." I nodded. "Anyway, you never did say what you do for fun."

"I answered a question. It's your turn." He leaned back against the table, resting his weight on his elbows behind him.

"Okay, shoot. But if it's stupid, I'm not answering." I folded my arms across my chest and then leaned forward again, uncrossing them to shake my finger at him. "And nothing perverted."

"I would never—"

"Dude, you're a dude. You totally would."

He shrugged and the little smile I so enjoyed tugged at the corner of his lips again. My stomach flipped and electricity shot through my veins.

"I only have one question," he said, becoming serious.

I raised an eyebrow. "Okay..."

His eyebrow raised as his smile tugged at his lips once more. "Where's the bathroom?"