Chapter 3

As Barry read through Martin's research, and some collaborative information that had been sent over by a very helpful DR McGee at Mercury Labs, Astrid approached him. "So what do we know?" she asked.

"Myth has it that the totem was created by an African God by the name of Anasi, for a warrior named Tantu to protect their people. Though, there are no actual events indicating that it actually has powers." Barry replied.

"So, whoever Snart sold it to must have gotten it to work." Astrid said, staring in the direction of the two thieves, who were still cuffed to their chairs.

"The question is, who did they sell it to?" Barry asked, knowing where she was going with her statement.

They approached Leonard and Mick who were being guarded by Sara.

"Who did you sell it to?" Barry asked them.

"We will cooperate with you, if you untie us first." Leonard said.

"We're giving you the chance to come clean..." Astrid said, "You can either tell us... or I will get it out of you, myself."

"Fine!" Leonard replied, "She claimed to be the totem's rightful owner! Some woman by the name Kacey? No, that wasn't it..."

"Kuasa! She never gave us a last name!" Mick finished, as Astrid threatened them with a look "She was in Detroit, she tried to hire us as hitmen to kill her sister after we sold her the totem!"

"Mick. Way to make them work for it!" Snart snapped at his partner.

"I don't trust the heiress!" Mick said referring to Astrid. "Her power is just scary!"

Astrid tried to hold back a laugh. "We have a first name and we have a place... Keep going. What's her sisters name and why would she want her dead?"

"If you must know..." Snart explained, "the sister is some young girl by the name of Mari McCabe. She lives with her adopted family. She never gave us a reason as to why she wants her dead, but my guess is sibling rivalry? But we refused to kill the girl, we don't murder unless it's entirely necessary... Do we Mick?"

"That's good to hear... Cisco. Did you get that name?" she asked.

"I'm on it! Mari McCabe... Hmm, she's pretty. I have an address right here... We also have a room full of heroes, who are we sending?" Cisco asked excitedly.

"I wouldn't mind getting out of the office for a little while." Caitlin volunteered.

"Yeah? That sounds like a good idea. Besides, maybe sending the guys in might intimidate her, so I'll go with you." Astrid said to Caitlin.

"If you girls are going, I'm going!" Sara replied, "I'm aching for some action... And if I have to stay here another minute with these guys... I'll probably go insane!"

"So what? You want us to just stay here?" Barry asked them.

"Actually, Bar...We will need a lift... But then you and the guys can stay here and keep an eye on Captain Cold and Heatwave over there." Astrid said.

"Really, babysitting duties?" Jefferson asked, "I thought we were meant to be heroes!"

"It wouldn't be wise sending the rookie in, so soon." Cisco added, a little annoyed that he was being made to stay back too. "I'll gather the equipment."

"So are you sure that you girls will be fine in Detroit?" Cisco asked as he handed them their communicator devices, "From what I've heard... that place is gang territory."

"Don't worry, Cisco," Sara replied, "I'll look after your girlfriend."

Astrid and Cisco both stared at Sara, annoyed at her remark. Though Sara shrugged it off. Fortunately, no one had picked up on her comment.

"We'll be fine..." Caitlin replied, "We're far from defenseless."

"Well excuse me for worrying... The last time we went somewhere we lost people." He argued.

"We lost one person!" Astrid replied, "I only faked my own death, remember? At least if something happens... Barry will be there to save the day... Besides – you guys are looking after two master thieves, who have escaped multiple times... and... once again so it seems..." she added noticing the two now empty chairs. "Don't let them take anything... please!"

"They shouldn't have gotten far!" Barry said. He took the girls over to Detroit and returned to help locate the two missing criminals.

Barry found the two fugitives in the stairwell. At some point they had stolen back their guns and were making their getaway.
Once again, Barry confiscated their weapons and cuffed them to the chairs.

"See... this is why she gave us the baby sitting duty!" Barry said to Jefferson.

"They're quick!" he remarked.

"Yeah, most criminals are... Fortunately, these guys aren't metas... just thieves with big guns!" Barry replied.

"Metas?" Jefferson asked.

"People with superhuman abilities."

"Like you?" Jefferson asked.

"Yeah, like me."

"Man, I still can't believe that you can travel back through time. That's some trippy science fiction stuff right there!"

"And it's not an action that I would suggest that Barry should repeat!" Martin added in. "Jefferson, I understand that you know the concepts of Firestorm, but just understanding the basics are not what are needed to be a hero. Might I suggest a few lessons in training before we take you out on to the field?"

"Really? Lessons? There was a reason that I chose not to go to college..."

"You should listen to him, man! It will keep you safe!" Cisco added as he walked over to the group, who were standing guard by Leonard and Mick. "The guy knows what he's talking about... Why do you think Martin needed to find a replacement in the first place?"

"Oh right... that guy died didn't he?" Jefferson asked.

"Are you sure that this is the right guy to replace Ronnie?" Cisco asked, a little annoyed, "Are you sure there was nobody else?"

Barry shrugged. "Not that I'm aware of."