17. PARADOX

Summary:

Paradox's background comes to light.

Notes:

This took me forever to think of and execute because I simply didn't know where to go. But I'm super psyched with what I got and where this is going :)

There have been complaints about profanity and although they are valid, you have to admit that these kids are teenagers dealing with a lot on their plates... either way, I'll limit some cursing. And apologies for any errors.

.

.

.

.

.

Peter came home to hear sobbing. He didn't know how his powers fine-tuned sounds from his apartment from all the way in the elevator that was on the ground floor. He was alone and as soon as the doors shut, he heard the crying. It was May.

He couldn't stand to ever see his aunt cry. She hadn't cried this hard since Uncle Ben died. That was the worse of it. He did cry too, but not nearly as hard as May did. And she sounded just like she did then. May's breaths were scattered and she hiccuped and wheezed.

Peter bit his lip, listening to her. She was speaking to someone. "I-I don't know what to do," she sobbed. "He's in so much pain... so much pain." Although Peter couldn't see what she was doing, May balled up the front of her blouse in her hands, wrinkling the material while she held a shaking wine bottle. May ducked her head, nearly spilling the wine as tears rolled over her cheeks and onto the ground. "And he-he's in constant danger. I don't know if he'll end up... dead in a-a dumpster." She kept slurring, her words getting slower, "And...and... I'm drinking again even though-" a sigh "-I know I shouldn't. It's just... Tony, he called me from the hospital. His friend, uhm... she jumped or fell off of a building, I don't know. And I just keep thinking... when am I going to get the same call from the hospital telling me my boy is dead?"

He wanted to throw up. Peter literally had to cover his mouth with the back of his hand. He stepped back to the wall of the elevator and tilted his head up high. Peter's eyes began to tear up then he couldn't hold anything back anymore.

He was overwhelmed with... everything. Flashes of faces went through his mind: Liz's silent scream as she fell off the building; the mischievous smirk of Paradox; the dead man, Charlie Callahan, that he could have saved; his aunt yelling at him in slow-motion; Michelle's glowing sleeping, face when he spent the night with her; Paradox kissing Liz. Everything blurred together. Peter caved.

He shook and shuddered when he cried, but damn, was he mad. Peter balled up his fist and let out a shout as he punched the wall beside him, creating a dent three times the size of his hand. He didn't care.

The elevator opened to his floor, letting him out of the cage. Peter stumbled out, furiously wiping his eyes. He struggled with the door, realizing that it was locked. He couldn't remember the last time his apartment was locked. Peter fumbled with the keys until his shaking hands could finally fit the key in the lock. Twist and push.

Once he was inside, he saw May on the couch, hunched over with her hands pressed against her forehead. A wine bottle was in front of her on the coffee table. When she heard him come in, May's mouth fell and her lip quivered. Her phone slipped from her ear and shoulder and thumped on the ground.

"May, I'm so sorry," His voice was cracking, but he didn't care. Peter rushed toward her and wrapped her in a fierce hug. He could smell its strong and burning aroma from her mouth but it didn't bother him.

She didn't need to ask any questions, she just held her nephew as if he was going to disappear into her arms.

On the other line, Tony released a heavy sigh and ended the call.