6.

Carrie walked out of the morg quickly with her hand over her mouth, trying to prevent herself from getting sick.

"Carrie-,"

"Stop!" She quickly said, Mike stopping himself as he watched Carrie get sick on the grass. She stood up straight as she pulled the tissues out of her pocket, wiping her mouth. "I, I need some time alone." She added, Mike able to hear her voice crack as she spoke.

He stood a good ways behind her, wanting to give her the space she'd asked for. It was a very emotional day for Carrie once she'd heard that David had killed himself. Of course she was relieved. She'd been paranoid ever since she'd been home. She was terrified he was going to try and abduct her again. Hearing he was dead caused her to have some sort of comfort; however, at the same time, there was a piece of her that was upset. This man raped and abused her daily, yet she was upset and she couldn't understand why.

Carrie thought if she saw his body that it'd give her some closure, maybe she would feel better. Once she saw him she was overcome with so many emotions it caused her to be sick. She wanted time alone to process her feelings.

Mike felt terribly for Carrie. All he wanted was to comfort her and make her feel better but he understood that sometimes he couldn't do that and she needed alone time.

"Mike," Carrie cried, walking towards him.

"Come here." He hugged her tightly, rubbing her back.

"I'm sorry." She apologized, sniffling as he continued to rub her back softly. "I just, I'm glad he's dead. I hate him for everything he did to me but he was the only person I talked to or saw for the past five years." Carrie licked her lips as she looked up at him seriously. "I, I, I just, I hate him so much." The woman struggled speaking clearly as she clutched onto him tightly.

Mike stood there hugging his best friend tightly, wanting nothing more than to make her happy. "It's okay. I'm right here." He smiled, kissing her forehead softly.

"Mike, can you take me home?" Carrie bit her lip as she looked up at him, trying her hardest to pull herself together.

"Come on." He nodded in response, leading her over to his truck, Olivia walking out of the building.

"Mike, I need to talk right quick." Olivia said, him nodding as he continued to walk Carrie to the truck.

"One second." He replied, opening the door for her. "I'm going to talk to Olivia for one second. I'll be right back. Are you okay?" Mike questioned, once Carrie sat inside the car.

"I'm alright." She nodded, him giving her a friendly kiss on the cheek before shutting the door.

"Is she going to be okay?" Olivia asked once Mike was approaching her, him nodding.

"With time, I think she will be." He answered honestly. "I'm glad the son of a bitch is dead. He deserves to rot in hell for everything he did to her." Mike angrily said, Olivia shocked at his language.

"Does she know what you did, that you are the reason she escaped?" Olivia questioned, him shaking his head immediately.

"No, I don't plan to tell her either, Liv. I don't want her feeling as if she owes me anything."

"I admire you for feeling that way but are you sure you just don't want her to know because she'll suspect you have feelings for her?" Olivia bit her lip, cocking an eyebrow at Mike.

"This isn't about me, Olivia. Right now, Carrie needs a friend. She needs someone to be there for her 24/7. I'm not doing this to be her boyfriend. She doesn't need that right now."Mike replied quickly. "I don't want you saying anything to her, okay? I don't want her to freak out." He added, her nodding.

"I won't, I promise."

Mike walked away from her and back towards his truck, stopping once she began to speak again. "This is really nice, what you're doing for her. Thank you for taking care of her." Olivia smiled gently, him just flashing her a smile before opening the truck door and getting inside.

"Hey, Mike." Carrie said, pressing her lips together as they pulled out of the parking lot.

"Everything okay?" He asked worriedly.

"You don't have to do this for me. You don't have to take me everywhere or stay at my house. You don't have to cook for me or sit in the bathroom and talk to me while I shower. I understand if this is a lot because it is. I just don't want you feeling as if it's your job to take care of me." Carrie's words caught him off guard and worried him, did she hear everything that was said between him and Olivia? Could she read their lips?

"Care, I'm doing all of this because I care about you and because you're my best friend." Mike responded with the truth. He wasn't helping Carrie to get closer to her. He was helping her because she needed him there.

"Mike, I just don't want to bother you." Carrie huffed, him stopping at a stoplight.

"You could never bother me, promise."

How are you liking this story so far and what do you think will happen next?
2O votes for an update!