Chapter 1 - The Conqueror

The year is fifteen hundred and seventy two of the Cazzayan calendar. It has been fifteen hundred and seventy two years since the end of the Second Sesuria. The hour is early in the day, and a man on horseback approaches a large tent off a gravel path upon a cliff side over a valley.

The man is dressed in armor with weapons at his side. The air is cool and crisp. As he exhales, he can see his breath through his war helmet. With each trot of the horse, its hooves push around the gravel along the path, providing a break to the morning quiet. As the man approaches closer to the tent and closer to the edge of the cliff, the sound of clanking and tinkering echo in the air. An army is preparing for war in the valley below. Blacksmiths are bashing their hammers on steel, making final repairs to the weapons of soldiers. Soldiers are slamming steel against steel, practicing their swordfight and warming up for the battle that lies ahead.

In front of the large tent, the man dismounts his horse and stands there for a moment as he stares at the forest he emerged from

In front of the large tent, the man dismounts his horse and stands there for a moment as he stares at the forest he emerged from. Standing beside the horse, he pats the beautiful stallion on the neck and speaks to it, "Just one more day, and we'll be heading home. Uriad, you've served me well all these years. It's time we let you rest." He takes a deep breath, pats Uriad one final time, and then proceeds to the tent.

Approaching the entrance to the tent, the warrior finds himself walking under a canopy leading to two guards dressed in shining metal armor and glorious white robes. Taking precaution, the guards both hold out one of their hands and motion for him to halt. With their free hands, the guards ready their battle staff. This warrior of a man does not stop as if he does not care for whatever authority these guards possess. With a matter of feet between the him and the guards, the warrior finally removes his helmet and reveals his face to the guards. Immediately, the guards recognize the man. The guards lower their hands and relax their stance. The guards together pull on the curtain along the tent, revealing the entrance to the warrior. Making eye contact with the warrior, one of the guards expresses, "Greetings, servant of the temple. Today is a beautiful day for war, and the lives of our enemies shall be offered up for tribute."

As the warrior passes the guards, he responds, "There is much blood to be shed on this morning. May the lord, Cazzayus, be honored with today's sacrifice."

The warrior steps into the tent, and the curtain of the entrance is closed behind him. Immediately, he can hear the sound of soft prayers resonating within the canvas fabric of the tent. There is a strong aroma of incense and burnt ashes that fill his nostrils. He observes five priests kneeling before five separate altars located in the center of the tent. The priests offer prayers to their idol gods through chanting words from an ancient tongue. The warrior looks around and notices a rear portion of the tent that houses a much larger altar with a more grand statue compared to the others. The sheer size difference signifies the greater importance of the deity. At the foot of that greater altar, stands another priest also in deep prayer.