Chapter 10 - Mystic of the Ages

Following the orders of the mysterious beggar from the mountain that overlooks the City of Suruprem, Ramiro took on the journey and headed south in search of the Mystic of the Ages. He traveled by foot, and many days passed. The Season of the Wind Fox turned into the Season of the Stallion of the Seas. As he ventured south from the great mountain chains of the north, he was met by heavy rains across the Central Plains. He traveled farther to the south, and the rains disappeared as he came upon a land so arid and dry.

Ramiro had made his way to a small desert village that would one day turn into modern day Wyndrall, a city named after the desert winds. However, at this time, this locale is still just a humble desert village. Here, he inquires with locals about the Shoulders of the Setahn. The locals tell him to travel to the southeast, to a land covered by endless sand dunes and tormented by perpetual heat. They tell him that Setahn, God of Nature, fell in battle, and when that god had died, the body of the deity withered away and formed the very desert itself. Only the bones of his shoulder blades remained, forming two rows of massive rock formations upon the desert sands known by the desert locals as the Shoulders of the Setahn.

The Conqueror leaves the village and travels southeast as advised by the locals. Several days pass on Ramiro's journey as he ventures deeper into the land known as the Desert of the Setahn. In his search for the Shoulders of the Setahn, Ramiro endures both blazing hot days and freezing nights in the desert. Now on this one particular day, Ramiro finds himself at war with the forces of the desert. The Conqueror fights his way through a violent sandstorm raging across the barren wilderness. Against the burning sun and unforgiving sands, Ramiro wears only his battle armor and a tattered cloak over his body to shield himself from the elements.

 Against the burning sun and unforgiving sands, Ramiro wears only his battle armor and a tattered cloak over his body to shield himself from the elements

Each footstep is a struggle as the sand beneath his feet try to swallow him into the earth. The desert winds roar all around Ramiro, trying to knock him off his feet and bury him alive. The sands are carried by the wind and break through the holes in Ramiro's cloak, scratching at his skin like the blades of a thousand knives. He can barely see anything in the sandstorm. Against insurmountable odds, Ramiro perseveres.

Aimlessly wandering through the sandstorm, Ramiro barely makes out what appears to be a wall of rock standing in the desert. Struggling, he manages to make his way to the wall of rock and finds some relief as the rock wall shields him slightly from the bulk of the sandstorm. Eager to find refuge, Ramiro scales the rock wall in hopes to come across some kind of shelter from the storm. Ramiro is in luck as he stumbles upon the entrance to a cavern along the face of the rock. He enters the cavern and escapes the onslaught of the sandstorm.

The cool interior of the cavern feels so soothing to Ramiro's body that seems to have been set on fire by the desert sun. Ramiro brushes off the sand from his body and removes his helmet to breath in the sanctuary that is this cavern. Ramiro stands in the coolness of the cavern's shade and allows his senses to return. After a few moments, the ringing in his ears from the howling winds leaves him, and he hears the soft sound of water droplets.