Chapter 11

~1 year later~

Peyton's POV:

"Are you sure?" I ask Eleanor, examining the dress in the mirror.

"YES! You look beautiful! And I'm not going to tell you again." She replied, stepping out of the dressing room in a short grey cross back dress.

"Everything I try on makes me look fatter than I already am." I placed a hand under my growing belly and sighed.

"You're not fat Peyton. You're just carrying a baby, it'll all be worth it in 3 months." Eleanor patted my back and walked back into the dressing room.

"Fine, I'll get this one." I walked back into the dressing stall and carefully slid the dress off. "You know what's sad El?" I asked, slipping my arms through the holes in my t-shirt.

"What Peyton?" She replied.

"That I'm 20 years old and searching through the maternity section." I groaned as I tried pulling my pants up, with much trouble. El laughed and knocked on the door.

"Let me in." She replied. I unlocked the door and she came in, closing the door behind her. "At least except the fact that you need new pants. It'll do us all a favour." She chuckled and helped me pull up the jeans I was wearing.

"El, we've talked about this. I'm not buying clothes if I only have 3 months to go." I grabbed my purse and unlocked the stall.

"Well don't come complaining to me when you need pants or can't get yours on. I wasn't the one who did this, it's all on Harry." Eleanor walked out from behind me, carrying my dress in hand. We approached the cashier but stopped when a guy came running in. Pointing the gun at us.

"Everyone on the floor! Or I'll shoot!" I clutched onto El and she quickly pulled us down onto the floor. "I said sit down!" He pointed the gun at two children and on cue they started crying.

"H-Hey, come here." I said shakily. The guy motioned them over with the gun and they ran forward. They clutched into me and El. I looked around at all the people, most young, some older. A mom sat with her child around the age of 2 against the wall and a man and his wife sat hugging each other.

"Everyone put their phones and bags in front of them. Now!" I quickly stuffed my phone underneath me and placed my purse in front of me. Eleanor did the same thing and I watched nervously as the guy came over. Time for my acting skills. He picked up my purse and started rummaging through it. "Where's your phone?"

"M-my fiancé has it. W-we share a cell phone to save money." I looked down at the floor and waited for him to say something.

"You better not be lying." And he moved onto the next couple. While he was rummaging through more bags I dialled 999. Praying and hoping. A gunshot echoed through out the store and I held my breath. "How dare you!" He screamed at a man who held his phone in one hand and his other clutching his shoulder. I took a deep breath and opened my mouth.

"Sir, please don't shoot." By now my eyes were watering and I was scared shitless.

"You can't tell me what to do!" He pointed it at me and I flinched.

"I'm not telling you what to do. There's children, and an unborn child." I placed my hand on my stomach and his eyes softened for a moment. "Don't you have family? Someone you love? What would you do if they got shot? I'm going by a long shot and guessing you have a girlfriend." Eleanor looked at me like I was crazy and I gave her a sympathetic look.

"How do you know?" He replied, keeping the gun pointed.

"I just do. I can see it in your eyes, the way you're looking at us. You can't shoot a woman, you know deep down that your woman means the world. Please lower the gun." I pleaded and he took me by surprise.

"You're right. But I've already screwed up." He lowered the gun and I heard the sirens in the distance.

"It's only worse if you shoot another." I wiped away the tears and looked at Eleanor. The doors burst open and he dropped the gun. Police officers tackled him to the ground and one ran over to the man who got shot. The children stood up and I steadied myself before standing up. Eleanor was soon by my side, holding our purses and held the little boy in her arms. The older girl slid her hand into mine and we walked towards the doors.

"Were you the woman who called?" A police officer came up to me and I nodded. "Well done. We are very thankful. If it wasn't for you, we probably wouldn't have caught Mr Gallic. You're free to go." I nodded and hurried out of the store.

"Thank you miss." The girl looked up at me and I smiled.

"Anytime sweetie. Where are you're parents?" The girl was silent instantly and I knelt down in front of her.

"We uhm.. Don't have any. We live on the street." My mouth dropped open in shock and I moved aside a lose strand of hair out of her face.

"You can stay with me for the time being. I'm Peyton." I smiled and she returned it.

"I'm Eva, and my brother's name is Tristan."

"Well Eva, let's go home then." I stood up and held out my hand, in which she took. I walked over to Eleanor who was struggling to get past the papz. I hurried over and pulled her back.

"Peyton! Are you having Harry's baby?" "Do you know the gender?" "Are you cheating on Harry?"

"Other way." I pulled Eleanor towards the police officers and one came over.

"You need some help getting to your car Miss Keller and Miss Calder?" We nodded and the police officer called over some more. They lead us to our car and I thanked them.

~10 minutes later~

"Eva, Tristan? Do you want something to eat?" Eleanor asked, pulling into the McDonalds parking lot and they nodded.

"Get two Happy Meals, I'll stay here with the kids." I said to El and she nodded. After she got out of the car, I turned my head to Eva and Tristan.

"Do you have any other kids?" Eva asked, twirling a strand of hair around her finger.

"Yes, my daughter Darcy is almost 3 years old. Speaking of which, how old are you guys?"

"I'm 10." Eva smiled and Tristan poked Eva's arm. "And Tristan is 5."

"How long have you been on your own?" I asked, shocked at their age.

"We weren't on our own. For awhile we were living in an orphanage. It was only a few weeks ago that we started living on the streets." Eva frowned and held Tristan's hand.

"Have you guys ever gone to school-" I stopped and looked at Tristan. "Eva have you ever gone to school?"

"No, I've always wanted to though. I've seen kids play at the park and sometimes I would watch them through their classroom window. Just to feel normal for even a second." Eva finished just as Eleanor came back to the car and I frowned.

"I got the food- Peyton what's wrong?" Eleanor handed Eva and Tristan their boxes of food and I shook my head.

"I'll tell you later." I whispered to her and she nodded.

"Thank you Peyton and Eleanor!" Eva's eyes lit up as she opened the box and Tristan squealed.

"A toy?! Thank you!" Tristan placed the toy back in the box and pulled out his fries.

"You're welcome." Eleanor and I said in unison.