prologue

"I remember you well at the Chelsea Hotel

You were talking so brave and so sweet."

1914 (two years later)

August 1914 had been amazing. The summer was one of the best of Iris' life. Every night was spent drinking until late with her favourite people under the warm summer twilight. Her and her boyfriend Alfie were in the best place they had ever been, and he had recently proposed to her. She said yes in a heartbeat. Not one part of her was unsure or had reservations. He was the most desirable man in London and she was head over heels with him. Their relationship was nothing but passion and romance. But one day, their whole world was rocked with the news of inevitable destruction and loss.

The engaged couple were sat in their garden, with Iris talking Alfie's ear off about wedding cakes and dresses and him looking utterly desperate for an escape from the conversation. His face lit up when he saw their friends Francis Hart, Ollie Freud and Aaron Freud sprinting through the garden gates.

"Alfie! Have you seen the news?" Aaron called as he jogged across the grass towards their chairs, a folded newspaper waving in his hand

Alfie leant forward in interest. "No I ain't. I haven't gotten the chance to move my arse from this seat for all this bleeding wedding talk."

This earned an exasperated hough from Iris.

"Germany didn't leave Berlin. Asquith's gone and declared war. They're saying all able men should go and sign up."

Iris and Alfie glanced at each other. She had mentioned the Prime Minister's threat of war the day before, but Alfie told her not to worry. Said that Germany would withdraw once Britain threatened them.

"You aren't going to, are ya?" Iris asked, her voice high with nerves.

"These two fuckin' are." Francis snapped, her arms crossed disapprovingly at the boys' willingness to run and fight. She was Aaron's girlfriend, and to say she felt protective over the brothers would be an understatement.

"Obviously we are! We ain't scared of a war." Aaron cried, his voice patriotic.

Iris' gaze flicked to Alfie, whose eyes were narrowed as he processed the information. "Well, Alf? Are you going to sign up too?"