Chapter Eleven

"mom, i know i let you down,"

Sunlight streamed through the window, and my eyes struggled to adjust to the new light. For awhile, I simply laid there. The birds chirped loudly as they were perched on the branch of the tree that stood just outside his window. The day seemed how many hundy for the undy beautiful, but it was bitterly cold inside despite the fact that I was pressed up against Luke's body. My arms were wrapped around his torso, and my head rested against his shoulder. The scent of his cologne filled my nose, and I couldn't have been more content. Our legs were tangled together. I slipped my arm out from under his so that I could brush a few strands of hair off of his forehead. Although my movements had been soft and calculated, his eyes still fluttered open which revealed the irises that were the color of a Norwegian glacier. There wasn't a good enough way to describe just how blue his eyes was. For saying that his eyes were only blue was like saying that the grass was just green. It was like saying that the sun was only yellow. Sure, I suppose it was sufficient, but it could not quite capture just the iridescent nature of them. In the correct lighting, they could've looked like a bleached version of Forget-Me-Not flowers ringed with the deepest shade of navy blue. They held such an intensity that they still never failed to impress me. They were almost cold like ice. It was as if one glance from him could cut right through you. Peering into his frozen irises, I felt a chill that could only be compared to an electric shock run up and down my spine. They never appeared to capture the light. They only defied it. They were so blue that they literally shimmered, and they were the kind that when he smiled, they would appear to soften and hold a twinkle that would end up being one of the most beautiful things that I'd ever have the privilege of witnessing. It wasn't something that happened often. In fact, it was quite the rare occasion, but I think that's what made it a million times more breath-taking. He looked over at me through his eyelashes that were so thick that it had to be illegal. It pained me to think that he believed that he wasn't good enough. One simple look at him was enough to have me lose every bit of composure I had left. I was completely flustered around him, and I struggled to find the correct words to say. I had a wall built up around myself to the point where everyone could only see me as having the perfect life. Luke had seen a side of myself that I kept buried deep inside of myself. There was no one else that knew about my life outside of school. They only saw me as the bitchy cheerleader who got what she wanted when she wanted. I was like a book in that sense. The cover can't always prepare you for what lies within the pages. I was a combination of words that held a double meaning. I was an enigma that no one had ever bothered to figure out before him, and maybe that's part of the reason that I would never be the same after.

"Thank you," I begin before I can stop myself.

"For what?" Luke asked as he propped himself up on his elbow.

"For figuring me out I guess," I replied as slipped away from the comfort of his bed. Quickly, I changed the subject to divert the attention from the heaviness that my words seemed to carry. "Is it alright if I take a shower?"