xviii | new and improved friendship

' NEW AND IMPROVED FRIENDSHIP '

a long sigh left blake's mouth as he plopped himself onto a rock beside minho and he tugged the jacket around his body more to keep the warmth in his body

a long sigh left blake's mouth as he plopped himself onto a rock beside minho and he tugged the jacket around his body more to keep the warmth in his body. frypan and newt sat with them too, and thomas was still stuck in the medical tent giving brenda blood so they could somehow help her, he didn't know where tessa had gone because she just left right after thomas did. he could only assume she was spending some time sophie to make up for how much time they lost.

"this place isn't too bad." frypan hummed, looking down at what everyone was doing.

newt smiled as he nodded in agreement. "yeah, i kinda like it. the breeze isn't too shabby either." he chuckled.

"i'd still keep covered up though. the sunburns up here are killer if you don't stay covered. true me, i've had my fair share." blake replied and rolled up his sleeve to show off a burn on his left forearm. newt grimaced at the sight.

"so this is where you've been? in with the mountain people?" minho raised his eyebrows over at blake, receiving a nod from blake.

"yep," he grinned. "living the dream, my friend."

minho released amused laugh, "i wouldn't call this a dream, curly. i'd like it to all be a dream. . ." the boys all sighed as they agreed with minho. if this life was all a dream they'd be the happiest people alive but unfortunately it wasn't. it was their reality that they couldn't escape.

breaking the small silence, frypan tilted his head to the nickname blake had ever since frypan knew the boy. "hey, where did the nickname 'curly' come from?" he asked.

newt laughed. "you don't know?"

frypan shook his head then minho grinned widely as he explained. "blake had the curliest hair i've ever seen when he came up in the box. he was just a young one with these amazing curls- so i gave him the nickname curly. they seem to have straightened out now though which is disappointing."

blake shook his head as he laughed, "minho wouldn't stop asking me what kind of hair product i used before i came up into the glade," frypan nearly howled at that one. "i guess i was just blessed with amazing curls." the smirk on blake's face made minho nudge him, clearly jealous of how good blake's hair used to be.

"don't be jealous, minho." newt teased.

"i'm far from jealous," minho scoffed, running both his hands through his hair. "i mean, look at this beautiful mane."

"alright, don't brag." blake said and playfully kicked minho's leg, the two boys laughing together.

it was a rare occasion for them to be laughing genuinely so they always enjoyed it when it happened. "i cant believe you're still alive," newt said to blake, a faint smile on his face.

"neither can i to be honest." blake admitted.

"no, i'm being serious-" newt's tone made the laughing die down, the air now more serious. "when you left those walls i thought i'd never see you again. we should never have done that to you, you were and are one of our best friends. best friends don't do that."