Melt

I am very, very, very, VERY sorry it has taken me this long to update. I promise you won't have to wait as long for the new chapter. 

Also, the picture isn't mine. And like always, I don't own The Flash or any of its characters. I only own the plot.  

Anyway, let's get on with the story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry's POV

"What the hell are you doing here?" hisses a voice from behind me. I turn around, coming face to face with the same, ice white eyes I've been dreaming about since my first visit to Calerath. 

Caitlin stands before me. I momentarily forget to breathe as my eyes rake over her. Some of her auburn hair is pulled back from her face into a rose bun at the back of her head. Several strands fall around her face, framing it beautifully. I find myself fighting the urge to brush my fingers through her hair. 

Caitlin's cold glare brings me back to focus but not enough to stop me from noticing the light blue, off the shoulder, flower-beaded dress she's wearing. Two waterfalls of lace drape over Caitlin's arms, the thin material decorated with little, snowflake designs. The dress makes Iris' plain, white coat and riding gear look like something out of the laundry pile. 

"You're not supposed to be here," says Caitlin, a warning laced in her words. She's right in my face and her breath is dangerously cold. For a moment I think she might kiss me again. She doesn't and I almost wish she would even after what happened last time.

"We didn't come to cause trouble," I assure her. Caitlin's glare only increases.

"That's what your father said when he came," she points out.

"He doesn't know we're here," I counter. This time, Caitlin falters. The ice white of her eyes flickers before they turn brown again. She takes a step back, regarding me in shock.

"Are you trying to get yourselves killed?!" she whisper-yells, obviously uneager to draw a crowd. She doesn't want people to find out we're from Arkadia. Why?

"Why do you care?" I ask. Caitlin winces as if my words burned her. It's so well covered that I barely notice it but I do and I know I didn't imagine it.

"I don't want war. I never have and you're going to cause it if you don't leave."

"That's the problem, Caitlin." Caitlin stares at me dumbfounded at the mention of her name. Did she think I forgot it? I push the thought away. "We came here to try to find a way to fix relations between our people so that an Arkadian in Calerath is no longer reason for war." 

Something sparks in Caitlin's eyes but it's gone before I can identify it. I find a warm feeling washing over me but I don't know why.

"Follow me," is all Caitlin says and suddenly she's walking away. I find myself moving to follow but a hand on my arm stops me. I look back, my eyes finding Iris' worried expression.

"Barry, what are you doing?" she demands. 

I glance over my shoulder at Caitlin, making sure I can still see her among the crowd. She must feel my eyes on her because she turns around, meeting my gaze. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her lock eyes with Iris as well, then Cisco. Her eyes flash momentarily but then she turns around and continues walking. She's making it clear that if we don't follow her now, she won't help us. 

I almost forgot Iris and Cisco were even with me when I was talking with Caitlin. If it were just me I'd follow her in a second. I have to convince Cisco and Iris she can help before she disappears. I look at my friends again, taking in their cautious expressions.