We filed into the town square with the other teens of District 12. Our blood wasn't taken, and we weren't finger printed like the movies. The Peacekeepers weren't as clean and shiny either. The square itself was probably nice, when not packed with hopeless kids. Shops lined the sides and a stage was erected in front of us. On it were two large glass balls filled with paper. Three people sat in fancy chairs at the back of the stage. There was a woman with tons of makeup on and a giant puffy pink dress, who I presumed was Effie Trinket. She would be picking the tributes. The drunk, depressing looking man beside her was obviously Haymitch. That meant the balding man in the suit was the mayor.  

We found a place in the middle of the crowd, surrounded by hopeless fifteen-year-olds. The town clock strummed twice and the mayor stood up to the centre stage podium. He gave his speech describing the events the rebellion, and the reasons for the Hunger Games.  It wasn't a very good speech, and the mayor obviously didn't like what he was doing, though he tried. When he was finished, he kind of slumped back into his chair, and a wide smiling Effie took his place.

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!" She exclaimed, "It is an honor and a privilege to be here today! Now, without further ado, the draw!" The pink lady let out a little giggle and said, "Ladies first!" 

Effie walked over to one of the balls, pulled out a slip, and said in a loud clear voice, "Emily Ferrah." 

After a few moments, a girl started making her way to the stage. She wasn't tall. Her short brown hair fell to above her shoulders, and her nose looked like it had been broken a few times. She was trying to look strong as she walked up in front of everybody, but even from where I was, the tears in her eyes were obvious. Effie asks for volunteers, but nobody wants to die. 

"Now for the boys." She walks over to the other ball and pulls out a little piece of paper. I wonder if my names on it, but that won't happen. Even if my name is in there it's unlikely to get pulled. 

"Gale Hawthorne."