"Prim?" I asked the young girl in front of me, putting my book down, "How old are you?"

"Eleven." She replied. Her voice wasn't as hushed now, and it held more confidence.

Eleven. That was good. She wouldn't get reaped until next year. Onto the next question.

Trying to put on a casual tone I asked, "When is the reaping?"

"You don't know!" Prim exclaimed, obviously shocked. "It's-"

But she was cut off as the door slammed open and an enraged teenaged girl stormed into the little shack. The girl stopped when she saw the look of shock on Prim's face, which had only grown with this interruption.

"Oh Prim, I'm sorry." She apologized, "It's just so... I had a bad-" she glanced at me, "I had a bad trip to the market."

Prim nodded, her face still pale. They hugged quickly and then turned to me.

"Who's he?" The girl asked.

"My name is Eryn. Eryn Gaunt. And you must be-"

"Katniss."

Katniss was thin, her cheeks sunken and her clothes hanging loose if her body. She looked young, like a child. She would be in her first couple years of high school. It was hard to believe that in a year she would have to compete, but there was something in her almond eyes. A hardness and maturity of experience beyond her 15 years.

"I haven't seen you around before. Where are you from?"

I'd been preparing for that question. Only one thing would make sense.

"I... My grandparents were from district 13 before..."

I didn't have to add anymore. She new what I meant. Still she wasn't the type to just let me just drop something like that and not follow up.

"So they escaped the destruction."

"Yeah..."

"And you just survived out there?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

And I didn't. The less I lied the better. And I was alone. I had no one else to travel with. Not for long anyways.

Katniss must have seen something in me, my eyes maybe, because she didn't press farther. In fact she turned back to Prim.

"I should be heading out soon." She said dryly to her little sister.

"But you just got back." Prim whispered. Little drops of water appeared to the corner of her eyes.

"It's okay Prim. I'll just go get changed into better nicer clothes. You get something for him."

There wasn't anything for me to wear really so I was stuck wearing... what was I wearing? A Heavy white collared shirt and tight beige pants. Katniss came back in a nice white dress. Her hair was braided and she had tight white shoes on.  We said our short little goodbyes to Prim, and Katniss promised her we would be back later. On our way out the door The girls's mom gave us a "Good luck." But Katniss ignored it. I gave a wave and we headed off.