The Girl [I]

The next few days were difficult. Krissa was constantly being visited by this creature to a point where she wondered if it would be more reasonable to simply move her camp... Perhaps he was watching her for informative purposes, perhaps he was he was just a curious animal. Either way, she understood that the apes were intelligent, primitive animals- unlike those she had briefly viewed from behind a thick layer of glass at a sanctuary. He was always so silent, observing her closely with clever tawny depths, bourbon undertones clear whenever they caught the sunshine. Krissa's fears had ultimately come true when he would return at some point during the day (be it morning or afternoon) to keep a close eye on her. At the very beginning of these occurrences, she had noticed how wary and unsure he had been, watching from a distance off in the bush or from up in a tree. It had been a reflection of herself, as both of them appeared to feel just as timid as the other. Nonetheless, Krissa understood that he was just as dangerous as the rest of his tribe, and whenever she would feel as if she could perhaps attempt to approach him, her own anxiety would kick her in the ass. He was a wild animal; no more, no less.

Uncomfortable with being constantly observed like an animal in a cage, she began to drape blankets over the mouth of her little den, just in case he attempted to return while she was asleep. Referring to him as "him" in her mind felt alien at times. Occasionally she would wonder if he had a name, but given she knew only of Caesar and the stories of the massacre, she understood that that little fact of information didn't matter. Engaging in any sort of intelligent communication with these creatures was impossible, due to their thirst for human blood... or so her father had taught her. Krissa was just finishing her breakfast when the rustling of the leaves above alerted her to his fast approach. At this point, she felt obligated to simply ignore him. It was her best shot at staying alive. If she ignored him, hopefully he would lose interest. Her paranoia always told her otherwise. It wasn't as if she were trying to act as if she were completely ignorant of his presence- Krissa's own anxiety kept her alert the entire time. It was simply feigning such things... after all, he was simply an ape.

The thud and hoarse pant escaping the male brought her little interest, although her heart hammered in her chest like a caged bird. He was really close compared to how he had been for the past few days. Krissa carried her paper plate to the bag of garbage she had been collecting lately. A few Crush cans and water bottles would make a good trip-wire alarm in case any sort of creature would have the nerve to creep into her makeshift camp. Krissa simply began to head for the moss-choked cave she called her home and began to pick out a few lines of twine she had managed to salvage from the community lost to the wrath of the Ape Tribe so long ago. Krissa settled herself on the damp earth, and began to punch holes in the aluminium and plastic surfaces so she could string the twine through. Her eyes focused on the task at hand, Krissa didn't seem to notice that the creature had decided to slide down next to her, settled a few feet away and silently observing her. Slowly, he shuffled closer and then inquisitively tugged at one of the bottles. Startled, Krissa grunted and met his gaze, anger flashing behind her eyes.

The ape seemed to cackle at that, a few grunts escaping his throat. He did it again, only for the twine to snap. Krissa, beyond irritated, grumbled and picked up the severed end, tying them together. "That was rude," she ended up saying, the words that left her mouth a surprise to her. For a minute it seemed as though she were in the presence of a child needing to be scorned for its behaviour... boy, this was one big kid. Swallowing, she hoped that he wouldn't be encouraged.

Eventually the ape became bored with her and began to look at the pot over the fire, the water heating up in order for her to be able to safely drink it. He seemed to be conflicted, as if trying to decide whether to approach it or not. Krissa frowned, eyes flicking between  the ape and the crackling pit. Finally reaching with a look of disgruntlement, he began to wrap his hand around the metal handle. Krissa nearly shot out of her skin. "D-Don't, that's hot--"