The Colony [VII]

Do you think that Slate would have slept if he could have? Yes. Had he? No, not for the past two months. He had tossed and turned within his residence, the moss and leaves that made up his bedding strangely uncomfortable. The only winks he had managed to catch were brief and troubled. It was early morning and Slate was finally pulling himself from his living quarters with a sniff of discomfort. Yet another unpleasant night's rest only to wake up to the constant chorus of birdsong that drifted up from the valley. He shared his family's hut with Poppy, nestled in the treeline and separate from the clumps of homes further down along the way that bled slightly off into the woods; they had their own privacy, which was nice. As he moved he was aware of how his bones were weary and stiff, his joints feeling older than they should at his age.

Pondering on this, he knuckled his way up to where the path finally reached the main camp. As the male yawned he crossed along the thick dirt and mingling roots through the exposed grounds, eyeing the withered old dogwood that leaned over and gave shade to the ledge. It had long since bloomed, its branches barren of the spring's beautiful flowers. Many were eager to see it blossom during the spring.

Ambling up an outcrop of stone, he gazed out at the rosy sky and the mist that drifted through the lower-lying mountains and over the lake beneath. Off in the distance was the continuous rocky desert the colony had crossed those meagre three years ago, when war had hung over the Muir Wood and they had all been forced to flee. So many things had changed and so quickly too. The apes were situated further up the mountainside, finally and officially moved into their new home. It had taken nearly a month to build the homes needed and move the elders, females and children to where they all had truly belonged as a group for nearly two-hundred now. Initially the plan had been to stay near the lake, but with the recent discovery of the perfect survey of the land from the cliffs, they had decided it was safer up there. Elevation was quite beneficial.

The journey up the main path had been a steep one, but it had been completely worth the risk. Rocket's worries had been extinguished as soon as he had witnessed the view for himself. The huts were built along the many paths along the ledges and overhangs, their crops being grown in clumps further away, down near where Hail and his wife lived. During the evenings or the waking hours of the day, torch light could be seen speckling the side of the mountain's great peak. The main entry point to the ape village was where most of the royal family stayed, and along the borders were stationed at least four sentries at each checkpoint.

If any creature attempted to sneak in, they would surely be spotted, and would have a hell of a lengthy climb up those steep, stony, winding paths.

It had been a long couple of months yet they had passed by within a flick of a buck's tail. Slate hadn't seen hide nor hair of Krissa, although this was mostly given to his sudden workload. Of course he had been more than willing to help with the move, but her sudden disappearance had puzzled him to say the least. Perhaps it was time to leave her to her human things. He had his tribe to look after, especially now that his uncle Hail and he had been closer than ever now. Still, as Slate was settled there, observing the new home, he struggled to fight the uneasy feeling in his gut.

Settling back on his haunches, he scratched his chin gently. Others seemed to be stirring and wakening as the sun slowly rose up into the milky sky. A few males reached the main camp and crouched together, readying to relieve the sentries of their watch and swap out shifts. As he watched Sage joining the sentry group, he wondered where his brother was. Pine hadn't been present much, mostly seen with Spoon or working on building the huts that were still in construction. The scarred male was now living with his mate, which had come up so suddenly that Poppy and he hadn't had much say in things. Not that they would have had a say to begin with, Slate remarked inwardly with a twitch of his upper lip.