Chapter Four: Opportunity

"Come on, Alex! Please!" I pleaded as we walked through the cafeteria doors.

"Man what is up with you and your fascination with this chick?" Alex asked messing up his hair.

"I.. I don't know! Just, please!" I begged again.

"Fine. But you owe me!" He said making a sharp right turn toward where she sat with Sam and Izzy. Suddenly she stood up and started running while Sam yelled behind her. The girl ran straight toward us and into Alex.

"Woah, you okay?" He asked holding onto her arms, steadying her. She looked up at him, trying to catch her breath.

"Oh yea. Sorry." She said as she turned her head to look at Elliot and then me. She seemed to recognize me but didn't say anything. She quickly straightened herself out and tightened her ponytail. Behind her Sam and Izzy were laughing. Izzy stood up and yelled out to her.

"Kenna! Come back! She forgives you." The girl, who I now know is called Kenna or at least that's her nickname, looked back and smiled.

"Well sorry for bumping into you." She said to Alex and turned around to walk back to the others. Alex turned to look at me and glared.

"She better be worth it because what I'm about to do is the epitome of embarrassment." Alex threatened. I smiled innocently and started walking. Alex and Eli quickly caught up. As we got closer, the girls looked at us. Sam and Kenna smiled but as usual when she saw Alex, Izzy frowned. I stood back while Alex walked closer to Izzy and started talking. Slowly I tuned them out and was only paying attention to her. What is wrong with me?! She's just a damn girl. Almost as soon as we got there, Alex was leaving. I tore my eyes away and walked behind him.

Alex wiped his mouth and looked at me. "You owe me big time. You didn't even say anything! What did you hope to accomplish?" He asked as we continued walking. Before I could say anything though, we noticed Eli wasn't with us. We turned around and saw him flirting with some girl.

""Elliot! Stop flirting and come on!" Alex shouted and turned back to me. A second later, Eli was standing next to him.

"Anyways, I don't know man. Just something about her. She seems... I don't know. Maybe it's just that she's new." I said trying to pass it off as a joke. But both of the guys saw right through it. Suddenly my phone started ringing. I looked down and recognized the elementary school phone number. I quickly hit answer.

"Hello?"

"Mitchell, its Miss Robin. I know you're in school but your mom isn't answering and neither is your dad."

"It's fine. What's wrong? Is Ellie okay?" I asked quickly. At the mention of Ellie, Alex and Eli looked at me concerned. That was the good thing about my best friends. They saw my siblings, as their siblings too.

"Well, she threw up. Twice. Says she wants to go home. I tried your parents multiple times." She said sadly. I sighed audibly and looked at the time. Fourth period was gonna start soon.

"I'll be there. Where is she? Is she lying down somewhere?" I asked slowly.

"She's in the nurses office getting some rest." I thanked her for calling and hung up. The boys continued looking at me worriedly. I ran a hand through my hair tiredly.

"Can you guys cover for me in English and physics?" I asked quietly.

"Yea man. What's wrong? Is Ellie hurt?" Elliot said immediately.

"She threw up twice apparently and my lovely parents aren't answering. I gotta go pick her up."

"Alright. We'll cover don't worry. And hey, don't worry about the game either, if you can't make it. Take care of Ellie." Alex said as he put his hand on my shoulder. I nodded gratefully and rushed out of the cafeteria, not even bothering to go to my locker. I ran to my car, thanking my past self for leaving my keys in my pocket. I started the car and raced out of the parking lot to the elementary.