[5] Friend?

I needed answers, and I needed them now, wether they will come out of Jesse's mouth, Asher's mouth, or hell, Amanda's mouth.

Everything was so confusing and I just got back here. This isn't supposed to be happening. When I came, I wasn't expecting that nothing would've changed in an entire year, but I wasn't expecting to have the whole town know who I was either.

The girl at the park called me a ' brave hero' , and that made me go back a few years. After a lot of thinking , I concluded that the closest act of heroism I committed was when I saved my neighbor's cat from getting hit by a car. And I wouldn't even call that heroic , it was an immense coincidence. I didn't want to save that cat, but somehow I stumbled and kicked it out of the way, and in result, broke my foot after the failed attempt of running away from that car.

Why would I be called a brave hero, if I didn't do anything?

Why would Amanda act like we are strangers when in fact we were the best best friends there is?

Why is life so confusing? I thought, as I closed my eyes for a few minutes, and opened them once again once I realized that sleeping is no longer an option right now. There was a freaking war in my mind, where the opponents were the same person, my mind.

Call me mentally ill, I wouldn't disagree.

I tossed and turned for what seemed like an hour, until my sleep-lacking body won the fight and I drifted to a dreamless sleep.

**

" So, what you're saying is that you dislike chocolate flavored ice cream " I childishly state, grabbing my books from my locker, which was filled with sticked posters of bands along with random notes that I rarely ever read. I turn around to face a guilty looking Alexa. She gulps, and says " It's not that I don't like it, it's just that - " she stops abruptly as soon as the bell rings.

She mutters " saved by the bell " , and I chuckle at how terrified she looks.

I mumble a quick ' bye ' and head swiftly to geography class, where I was , once again, greeted by stares and smiles and glares and waves . I am not what you call socially awkward , just shy. I would rather not attract the attention since I find the whole concept of being popular and known very rigorous.

As soon as the class starts, my mind decides that the topic I'm going to think about isn't where countries are situated, or the population in different areas on earth, no. It decided to think about how I'm going to confront Amanda, and what I would say. I mean, she did look scary that other day, with the heels and the purse and thirty shades of lipgloss, but I'm sure it's just an act. I guess talking some sense out of her would help. I'm gonna fix whatever happened to our friendship. At least try to.

I look up to check what time it is on the round clock above the whiteboard, only to find every single person in class staring at me , some in awe and others in admiration.

" What ? " I mutter, to no one in precise.

" I was just telling the class how you got the highest grade on the last quiz " my geography teacher, whatever her name was , says, pride dripping from her tone. I smile a bit and hide my face in shame, not because of my grade,but because I drifted off in front of the whole class. The bell rang just when I needed it to, and I was the last one to get out since I was a messy person. Right when I was about to step foot outside, someone pokes my shoulder. I turn around, and find the geography teacher smiling from ear to ear, as she said

" intelligent and heroic... Good job, Julie " she winks. When she turns around, I take it as a ' you are dismissed ' and run far, far away from that class.

Great. Even my teacher thinks I'm a hero for no apparent reason.

***

" You know, if you keep walking in that pace, your legs will fall off and you wouldn't be able to avoid me then" Asher startles me, as I was walking to the parking lot.

" Asher, I'm not avoiding you. It was just a messed up day " I say, wondering why I didn't see him in the halls today.

" That must've sucked. I ditched the entire day " he says playfully, and chuckles. Lucky him.

" So, wanna- do something? Get some Starbucks? " He asks, shoving his hands in his pockets and shifting his weight from leg to leg.

My automatic response was always no, but I held myself.

Why not?

" Sure " I smiled, and we walked together to the closest Starbucks.

" So, you're the new it-girl at school now? Everyone seems to know you. W-was it because of what you did? "

He stutters, his eyes never leaving the floor. What did I do?

" Yeah. It's totally because of what I did " I nodded, not having any idea what I was even on about.

" It was very brave of you, Julie. " He said, blushing. Under any other circumstances, I would've been flattered. I would've took the compliment, and embraced it, knowing I did the right thing.

But now I didn't even do anything.

I just look nowhere and everywhere until my eyes land on the friendship bracelet almost cutting off my blood circulation. Amanda gave it to me on my sixteenth birthday, and she specifically said " the bracelet was too tight so whenever you feel pain you'll remember me '' . And boy, do I remember you , Amanda.

" What's on your mind? " Asher nudges my shoulder, staring down at me and smiling.

" Did you ever have a best friend? " I ask, staring at the distance, unconscious of what I was saying.

" Obviously, yeah, many " He says, still looking down at me, expecting me to look up.

" What if they suddenly turned against you? What if suddenly, they're best friends with your worst nightmare. If suddenly, they become your worst nightmare ? " I ask again, not even knowing why. I just needed a friend, and Jesse wasn't the touchy- feely , soft kind of guy.

Silence. Trees swayed. Leaves fell. Cars horned. Wind blew. And then he spoke.

" Well, first, I'd be mad. I would feel betrayed. I would even shed some tears. But then I would come to a conclusion. "

" And what would that conclusion be?"

" That they're not worth it anymore. That it's okay to stop trying to get them back. That it's okay to let them go, like they let me go. " He says.

I nod.

" You seem to know lots about this? " I ask.

" Been there many times. Oh, Julie. If only we knew what's coming around the corner " he says, hugging himself.

But I fear, what's coming around the corner has a thing or two to do with Amanda getting back at me.

' Game on ' she said.

Game on.

*****

oh god this is so short forgive me.

So obviously, I would LOVE to apologize for not uploading any chapters since forever and I probably lost all of my readers but I still love this story and I'll keep writing it no matter what.

Until next time, and I promise it': not gonna take long!

Comment some of your favorite songs for me to download aye chiccaz?

Pizzas and unicorns n shit