The Truth

Will stood idly behind my mother, his golden hair shining under the lights of the chandelier hanging above him. His piercing blue eyes take me in warily, longing and lust bubbling to the surface. Will's facial expressions were as easy to read as an open book, including today.

But then his eyes land on Trent, and his expression turns blank. His eyes lose their spark and his lips part slightly in disbelief. I wonder why he's even here.

" I came to talk to you " Will murmurs as if in response to my thoughts, his eyes never leaving Trent's menacingly.

" To me? " Trent's squeaky voice vibrates in the entrance, as he gestures to himself and widens his eyes mockingly. " Hello to you too, buddy! " He jokes again, ludicrously opening his arms out for a hug.

Will stands still, his entire body stiffened and his eyes narrowed down to slits. If anything, Will is the most serious person I've ever met.

" I'm going to check on those brownies" Mom mumbles breaking the silence, then hastily leaving the three of us alone in the entrance. Liar. She never bakes brownies. She never even bakes. My dear mother wants me to take responsibility of my own problems without her motherly interference. Well, she can watch me do so.

" What did you want to tell me? " I ask Will, my voice filled with steadiness and confidence, as I raise an eyebrow. The anxiety inside me never fails to make me sick to the stomach. Is anything wrong? Why would Will drop by unannounced? The questions made my heart beat frantically, my acting skills crumbling before me.

" I'd rather do it in privacy" Will emphasizes, directing the words to Trent as he stares at him straight in the eye shamelessly. Trent doesn't budge.

" Let me translate that for you. Leave. Now " Will's harsh tone sends shivers down my spine. Trent then chuckles and walks lazily further into the house.

" I'll be waiting inside. Call me if you need me, Jules" He announces gently, and I nod gratefully, giving him a small smile.

I suddenly felt Will's cold hand in mine, as he lead me outside. I shiver from the sudden contact.

We were standing on the front porch when I retrieved my hand from his and hugged myself. It was certainly chilly here, or maybe it's just me.

" This is exactly where we were standing when I stole your first kiss years ago " He acknowledges amusingly, and I chuckle nervously in response. It was after our wonderful third date, the memory is still imprinted in my brain. The feeling, the weather, how I rushed to call Amanda afterwards and she was so thrilled she got her mom to drive her to my house so I can spill every juicy detail. I remember wearing a knee length blue dress, and my arms were clad in Will's black leather jacket. We were both extremely nervous, but it was amazing. Great memories.

Lost in thought, I didn't even notice when Will edges closer to me. Nor was I conscious when Will cupped my cheeks, and leaned closer, his lips eager to be on mine. I widen my eyes, unable to move, unable to speak.

When his lips were almost on mine, I roughly pushed him away and watched as his expression went from happy to betrayed and hopeless. It broke my heart as much as it broke his. I could almost imagine what was going on in his mind. His thoughts are probably all over the place, he's struggling to keep his composure, trying to keep calm and cool, his signature moods. I don't know if I should be mad at him for making a move, or sorry for him because he was rejected.

" I thought I told you it isn't going to happen. I thought I made it clear that I don't want to be romantically involved with you. I thought I- "

" You know what I thought, Julie? " his voice was challenging, but far from steady. He looked me straight in the eye as if finally removing his mask.

And that was the moment Trent opened the front door of my house, and just stood and stared at us for a while.

So I ran.