[6] Knocking On The Devil's Door

Ashton's advice was glued in my mind.

Let it go. Move on, like she moved on.

But how can I move on when I never even tried getting her back?

I knock once. Fumbled voices from inside. Movement. Then nothing.

' If you never try, you'll never know '

I should try getting her back before moving on. Who knows? I might get my best friend back.

I knock again. Nothing.

Maybe she's out? With Rebecca, that's for sure.

I knock three times, channeling all my anger to the force of my knocking on this door. The more I think about Amanda shopping with Rebecca, partying with Rebecca, watching television with Rebecca, the harder I knock. And then the door opens.

" Would you calm- " Amanda's mother trails off, taking me in. Her wrinkles from last year disappeared, although I remember the procedure happens in the other way. Wrinkles appear, they don't disappear.

" Hi " I smile politely at Amanda's forty-something year old mother.

" Julie! " She squeals , opening her arms wide for a hug . I hug her back shyly.

" How's my second little daughter" she says cheerfully, patting my cheek. I restrain myself from swatting her hand away. Instead I smile.

" I'm great. How's everything? " I ask, although that was the least of my concerns.

" Everything's fantastic! This rusty old town was boring without you, Julie! You're finally back! I'm sure Amanda's thrilled! Although she never told me you're here.. " She says, thoughtfully, tapping her chin.

I shrug, my heart beating faster.

Amanda's probably in there.

" Uh- is Amanda home? " I ask, raising my eyebrows and rubbing the back of my neck.

" Oh, you just missed her! She went out with that Rebecca girl! I never really liked her, if you ask me. Such a big mouth on that girl!" She complains. I'm sure her daughter would say otherwise.

Amanda's not here. I was somehow relieved. The confrontation would have to wait a day or two. I smile and make a lame excuse as to why I can't stay and have a cup of tea and cake with her. She closes the door, and I let out a breath. Now that was something...

One more stop before heading home.

Jesse's.

The grass on his front lawn was wet : The sprinklers were spraying water.

I sigh and roll my eyes. Jessie's mum must be in town. Strange.

I walk towards the front door then knock, the same feeling in my gut earlier returning in full force. I'm going to finally ask Jesse.

As if by cue, he opens the door, in nothing but his boxers. I widen my eyes.

" Change. Now. " I say, pointing at the house. He smirks, then heads back inside. This boy, I swear to god.

Minutes later I was face to face with Jesse wearing his ' My best Friend Is Hot' shirt.

" Hey! I got you that! " I beam, pointing at his shirt.

"I had NO idea " he winks sarcastically, then sits down on the stairs. I follow.

We were silent for quite a long time.

Then I decided to speak.

" I have to ask you--"

" Abbie's dad- "