Chapter Seven

More ordinary days passing by. Nothing new happened aside from the usual activities that I go through. Go around Akihabara and Chiyoda to see if there is any suspicious activity, check up on Asakura-san if there was anything we can do, see if Maribel is around Chiyoda just so we can hang out again like last time, or practice driving with Kotohime in her car. It was becoming dull that I was performing these mundane tasks all day. For the first time and something that I never thought I would ever say in my life, I'm starting to become bored of this.

All I'm doing now is laying on the couch, lounging around. I was playing video games with Kotohime. The two of us are playing a FPS game, doing co-op. We are doing pretty well, completing entire levels with flawless coordination. I find it funny that Kotohime sees me as a sort of protege when I'm not really into police work.

I could serve as a detective now that I think about it. I pay attention to a lot of details in movements or an environment. I would know exactly where to look, deducing the possible options that a person takes to hide evidence. I always wanted to be a detective as a kid thanks to watching a lot of Inspector Gadget and Pink Panther. I guess Dick Tracy can count as an inspiration of me wanting to become a detective.

I thought of the stereotypical kind of detective. The one I would wear a nice looking hat, a cool coat, and smoking a pipe. In some cartoons, it would be a pipe that has bubbles coming out of it. Being a detective would have been cool. Good thing that I watched enough detective films to pull off a Sherlock kind of deduction phase.

Funny how Sherlock Holmes wasn't the inspiration. He's one of the most well-known fictional detectives. I did watch the movie where he was played as Robert Downey Jr. What's cool is that Robert Downey Jr used wing chun in the film. I could distinctly see him using it when he employed blocks and those two punches to crack that guy's ribs.

I want to pull that kind of thing off. Where Sherlock provides an analysis of what his move will be, predicting what his own actions and his enemy's actions. Too bad real life won't work like that. I guess I'll have to see if I can pull it off if I can. Analyzing and predicting what move to make is the act of probability, a kind of hyper awareness that can't be turned off.

They either work or not, depending on the experience. I'd have to be a prodigy or a genius to pull that off. Sherlock Holmes had it all. He was a prodigal genius, but he wasn't always perfect at times. Well, in a more social manner. Still, there are times where he is wrong about his assumptions.

Being aware of almost everything is a terrible thing to have. They can never shut up about details that are supposed to be a private matter to someone. It ends up hurting them before they even know it, not realizing how much they're hurting that person. It's unintentional on their part while the person that becomes the victim of it ends up hating them or even worse. Sometimes, I can understand why Holmes is a deconstruction of the typical detective type characters that I see in fictional TV shows or movies.

Being a detective doesn't make anyone a truly good person. It's just great at deducting a level of detail to solve a crime, but using that level of detail in a social manner can cause a lot of problems to a person and cause consequences to yourself in that regard. No one wants to have any secrets revealed to them right in their face. It's what makes Sherlock Holmes such a sad person despite how much of a prodigy he is. What people don't see is how much of a broken man he is and to those that call him a genius, it doesn't make him feel any better, wishing he was just a normal person.

We wouldn't have Sherlock Holmes if he didn't have that hyper-awareness with him. It's what makes him Sherlock Holmes. It's what makes people follow the creator's example as he is the mark of a fictional detective. At least that's what I believe. Thinking about this is kind of sad.