Chapter Twelve

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. The unknown transcends beyond mortal understanding, suspension beyond a belief through factors that deem it impossible to perceive for the mind. The concept of the unknown must remain hidden away from the eyes of many as it shall bring about chaos and madness upon the world. The unknown is to be constantly feared, lacking a shape, form, features, an inherent existence in the plane of mortality. Humans cannot grasp the unknown in fear that they will go mad from what is within.

Mankind is not ready to venture out into the cosmos for it shall end in a disaster that endangers not only themselves, but at a cost where they bring these disasters to the planet we live on. Alien-like organisms soon discovered the path to this planet, invading it, perverting it with their presence and power, indifferent to human beliefs, deemed as false, unworthy of their cause. These organisms cannot be stopped by conventional means, abstract conceptual beings that belong in a realm entirely different from ours. Looking upon these unknown organisms is too much for anyone to bear, transforming into a peon, an abomination, or depending on how far they are willing to relish in observing the pain, despair, and suffering of a human, prolong their lives and offer their free will to them, becoming a puppet, emotionally and mentally torn apart from the torture. Humanity is unaware that the world is under the control of beings of a higher power that can end it, change it, or simply observe, eyeing points of interest, interest that keeps them amused.

No one else but me figured that out. Our world is in constant danger from abominations like Nyarlathotep. They'll never stop until they completely destroy it, ruling over any left over humans, changing them into monsters just like them, being forced to become obedient slaves to their supposed masters. I don't want to become that guy where I end up paranoid after these events, the nightmares that I witnessed are fresh in my mind, replaying over and over again. I'm probably insane already. I can't even tell anymore.

I might be pretending to be sane, secretly hiding my insanity from others. That's a scary thought. This whole entire situation could be a nightmare that I'm having and when I wake up, I'm in a mental hospital, wrapped in a straightjacket, screaming in my sleep. Too much probabilities and causes that I can't determine which is which. I wholeheartedly believe that this is Nyarlathotep's dream world, controlling each and every event that happens around me without anyone noticing, remaining apathetic.

By the time I entered Chiyoda, it was too late. I entered the territory of an extra dimensional being, interfering with his plans, going far to confront me when his cult has been discovered. He's giving me hope just so he can crush it in front of my eyes. The difficult part is trying to break my will. His presence would be enough to make the body and mind fail.

My will is too difficult for him to break. It frustrates him that he tries to use other methods to do so. They keep on failing because I've already seen enough horror in Gensokyo. My mind can't keep up with these abominations, but I'm resisting their mind altering effects with my own willpower, never allowing them to take control over me. He thought it would be too easy to take over my mind.

I fought against an Amanojaku that can flip things over, a youkai that is more like an abomination, a skilled martial artist, a maid that can stop time, a vampire, the devil with some help, and now, I'm going up against a god that has reality warping powers. He should have been there to see my struggles against these opponents and how I managed to always come out on top, fighting with everything I have. Nyarlathotep isn't giving me a chance to fight him at my full power. I've been holding back this power for the safety of other people around me. It sounds like an excuse when it comes to our previous encounters where he dominated me, but if I think about it, my options were too limited.