Fifteen

"You know, he's not a decent kind of boy. They said he was dead last year and.. he wasn't, you know, " The girl fidgeted and something in her eyes rose up and then before I could see what it was.. it was put to rest, so she continued, "then he just like shows up and stuff. He's an asshole."

I look back at the broken atmosphere, "How do we tell?"

"Because Clint says he is, and Clint knows these things, see? Like there was this girl... Fiona, I think. And Clint liked her, he really did and Foster kissed her up one night. And then... Fiona, she left. So did Foster. Then we heard Fiona was dead. And Foster along with her." The girl clicked her tongue.

I sipped my water silently and nodded my head blankly. But on the inside, I was dying. I was overwhelmed by this information that I was trying to strangle from Foster and it was just spewing out of this skinny chick quicker than I could keep up. This was what I was looking for.

Now I must tell you, she was thin. She was so thin that she could wear a belt and not shudder when someone looked at her abdomen. I do not know how someone can be so skinny as to wear a belt... and not just to wear a belt but a dress under that belt. And under that dress, a body. Hers. And It was so puzzling to me how that could be. 

"He's so...." She tilts her head a little and starts up again, "so private. And I just... I don't know, he's quick. He won't let you anywhere near his soul, I doubt he has one."

She looks to me. I nod in agreement. She grins, "I'm Noel. And you don't say much, but don't worry, we'll be friends anyway."

And it was funny because she was the first female friend I had. Which is a really weird feeling. ... I think she eats, but that's okay, we'll be friends anyway. And she'll eat and I won't. And she'll talk and I won't. And she can keep her opinions and she can keep her soul. And while she does, I'll see if Foster has one. And maybe... I'll check if I have one too.