The Project

{Unknown POV}

It's been years but I still haven't gotten over the fact that he was dead. We may have just been kids then. But nothing beats the feeling of first love. Puppy love. First love never dies. No, not in our hearts but he died. They said it was an accident. I believed them.

Now, I was in high school. Graduating at last. But I haven't had a boyfriend. Even a first kiss. I couldn't permit myself to fall in love. I still loved him.

I was in community service. Well, not because I was a delinquent. It was part of our Social Studies project. The whole graduating class had to have a project that 'serviced' the community. It was choosing between cooking food for the homeless, helping in the orphanage, or helping out at the local Home for the Aged. I wasn't good at cooking. Not really liked my short babysitting jobs. But I was close to my grandparents so I helped out at the Home.

I was assigned to an old neighbor of ours Mr. Walden. He was, admittedly, creepy. No kid would go near him 'cause of his dead eye. I was also scared of him when I was a child. But I've accepted old people's eccentricities since my grandfather was now senile.

He told me that the bank now had his home but he wanted to get some of the stuff that he left there. I got the permit to take him out and helped him.

I was putting the items he was pointing at in a few boxes. Inside his bedroom, he led me to the top of the closet and told me to pull a few boxes there. One of the boxes fell and I coughed at the dust that permeated the air. Something fell out of the box that caught my eye. It was a golden necklace with an engraved ring. It looked familiar.

Mr. Walden spoke, "So, you've seen My friend's necklace." My heart grew heavier.

"Sumner?" Something was wrong here.

"Yes." He paused, "I've seen all I wanted. Thank you for helping me. You can drive me back now."

I broke the silence while we were driving, "how could you have his necklace?"

He never took it off

"I gave it to him." I continued.

His body was found in the river.

"Mr. Walden, please."

He was wearing it the last time I saw it.

"Answer me, please."

He was found dead the next morning.

"Mr. Walden."

They couldn't find the necklace. I got quiet.

He spoke up, "The cold is getting to you, Ms. Jasmine. Here, have some coffee."

I looked at him and took it reluctantly.

"Drink. Drink."

I drank it. It tasted a bit like whisky. I could see a river in the distance.

"Really cold this time of year."

"Yessir."

"Must be icy cold."

I nodded.

"The surface is frosted over."

I was getting sleepy. Wait, why am I getting sleepy?

"I don't want no trouble Ms. jasmine. I'm too old to go to jail."

My eyes were getting blurry. I couldn't understand half of what he was saying.

"Y-you. You killed. Him. He. Was. No."

He pushed my leg out of the accelerator into the brakes with his cane.

"He was a meddling kid just like you. And meddling kids shouldn't stay." He smiled that crooked smile of his.

"But. Theywould. Know. Youkilled me." My speech was slurring.

He laughed, "Listen clearly, missy. Some of the boxes I took here myself are full of this. And I could just tell them I chose to walk than ride with you in that drunken state." He showed me empty beer cans and scattered them at the floor of my car. "After I saw your reaction on his necklace, i knew that you knew I killed him."

"N-nnooo."

"Nobody will think twice. Everyone knows you teenagers drink while driving. You and your friends. I've heard your parents scolding you over this. You should've listened." He mocked. He opened my side of the door and whispered, "Goodbye, Jasmine." He pushed my leg to the accelerator and closed the door as the car was moving to the edge of the river. The surface ice cracked and welcomed my car into its dark depths.

I could feel the water seeping through the door. I couldn't move. My body was paralyzed by the sleeping pills in the coffee. Somebody help me please. Somebody. Help. I called out into the darkness. The bubbles forming some kind of ethereal shadowy entity. I was hallucinating, I think. I gripped the necklace in my pocket.

The water was painful. Like needles piercing my skin. Rising up and up to my neck. I couldn't move. God, help me.

I swallowed the ice cold water. It seared my throat. The cold was inside me now. Icy death. I blacked out both from the ingested water and the pills.

I woke sometime later. The water, not cold but warm. Like I was inside a womb. Caressing me with its liquid essence.

I am Jasmine Applegate.

Call me Jazz.

And I just drowned.

Jazz Drowned.

That sounded good. Jazz Drowned. I smiled at the shadow entity beyond the windshield. His fiery red eyes glowed in amusement.

**************************************************************

Tell me what you think.

I just finished some of the girl's history and it's obvious who this one is gonna be paired with.

Please, comment, vote, share.

Imma give youz a cookie. ^u^