Chapter 3: An Unexpected Discovery

As they got to the emergency room, "Wheein, I'm here, don't worry alright?" Yongsun said as she held on to unconscious Wheein's cold hands.

"I'm sorry but you can only stay up to this point. Don't worry, we'll do the best we can." The doctor said as she tapped Yongsun's shoulder. "Wheein-ah! Be strong for me okay?" Yongsun said as she got even more worried for her sister as she was brought inside the emergency room.

2 days of restless nights, Yongsun couldn't sit still. A few hours later on their 3rd day of being at the hospital, Yongsun stood up from her seat as she saw the doctor with a blank expression, "D-Doctor, is....my sister alright?" "Based on our tests and findings about your sister, her immune system has immensely weakened, even the surrounding dust affected her, I never expected a case like this, especially for a child her age." The doctor explained. "What does that mean doctor?" "I'm sorry to say....but the child has the major case of SCID."

This left Yongsun and her aunt speechless, "She has the same case as your mother..." The aunt said as she sat back down. "N-no, I can't lose my twin sister...." Yongsun said as tears started to form in her eyes. "I'm sorry to say, if there is a room at your house where there is no dust of any kind, she's safe there until we can give her the exact treatment she needs. She would be able to survive if you know someone who has the same blood type of your sister, if we get to transplant it immediately, we would have good results for her speedy recovery. If not....then the best option is to confine her in a single room." The doctor added.

"I know a few people, but....I'm not sure if we'll be able to comply with the expenses for it..." The aunt said. "Maybe we could ask our neighbors...." "But we'll have to immediately execute the transplant or it'll limit her life span." The doctor reminded.

The aunt then asked all around the neighborhood and pleaded, yet no one accepted to help them. "Auntie, w-what are we gonna do?" Yongsun started to worry yet again. 

"I guess we'd have to follow what the doctor suggested..." "Confine my sister? In a room where she has no one to interact with? Auntie...." Yongsun said as she observed her sister from outside her hospital room.

"I promised I would protect her auntie...." "I know Yongsun, but we have to obey doctor's orders."

Days later, Yongsun, their aunt, & Wheein then moved to a new house in a private village that their grandmother used to own, along with the interior designers.

"A-auntie, what's going on?" Wheein said in the van the hospital provided for her. "They're making a room for you, a special room..." "A room just for me? But I wanna share a room with Yongsun-unnie..." "N-not today, Wheein...." The doctor said as he arrived at their house for a visit.

"H-hello doctor...they're currently making the room for Wheein." "That's good to hear, um, Wheein, how are you liking the idea of your room?" "C-Can't I share a room with my twin sister?" Wheein said in a sad yet confused tone. "I'm....afraid that would not be possible, Wheein..."

The next week followed and Wheein was finally settled in her room, where there were no bacteria of any sort nor any dust that would contaminate her.

"A-Auntie? Where's Yongsun-unnie?" Wheein said as she stood up from her bed and went to the see through door. "She's doing some errands for a moment, she'll be back in a little while, don't worry" The aunt said as she reassured Wheein.

"Auntie! I'm home!" Yongsun said as she carried the groceries in her tired hands. "Yongsun-unnie!" Wheein said with a big smile on her face, wanting to go out of her room and hug her tired sister. "No,no,no, Wheein, you have to stay in there, doctor's orders, remember?" The aunt said. "Oh....." Wheein said with a sad expression on her face. "It's alright Wheein, even though you're in there, we can still be with each other..." "I wanna hug you so badly unnie..." "I feel the same way Wheein, but we have to follow doctor's orders. I'm still here for you alright?" "Alright, unnie."

Despite knowing about her own sickness, Wheein started to feel useless about herself, not being able to do simple things like playing outside with her sister & the other kids, eating normal food she used to enjoy now being wary of it's contents, & many other things.

She even wished that her sickness didn't exist, that she would be able to be treated immediately & that she would be able to do things normally again.

Most of all, receive the same attention of her family to her sister, there were times she would be jealous of her but she pushed those feelings aside because she loved her so much.

But what would she do to be like her sister, without any worries of getting infected in the outside world? To live life normally again without restrictions?