Chapter Seven

"Vi? What's wrong?" asked Alaska

"The police are coming back"

"Why?"

"They need more details about what happened"

"Oh boo, don't worry about it"

"but what if they make me see her again"

"if they do then I will right by your side, just like you were for me"

"are you sure?"

"absolutely"

"thank you so much!" Violet said as she gave Alaska a tight hug

"No problem babes"

"Oh and on Friday us two are going swimming in the morning"

"Oh, that sounds fun"

"You said 'oh'. Why?"

"I'm just not a very good swimmer,that's all"

"You'll be fine. I won't let you sink, okay?" Violet chuckled

"Okay?" Alaska laughed

"I'm gonna check on Katya, she seemed a bit off earlier"

"Really? I'll go and you can run me a bath" Alaska said

"Alright babes"

Alaska wheeled along into Katya's room. She found Katya crying her eyes out with a bottle of alcohol in her hand.
"Kati?" Alaska said softly
When Katya heard Alaska say her name, she burst into even more tears. Alaska climbed onto the bed and sat next to her.
"Kati, don't cry. What's wrong? Talk to me babes?"
"I can't do it any more"
"Can't do what?"
" This. I'm trying to be strong for you and Violet but I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry, I just can't" she said as she went to walk away

"Katya! Stop this! You are an amazing person and you have the biggest heart I have ever seen. You are my rock and I wouldn't be here without you. It's really hard at the moment for all of us, but we will get through it together. We all need a break sometimes and like Vi said, she's happy to look after me anytime and if she can't do it, someone else can. So if you need a break or some you time, just ask babes"
"Are you sure?"
"Absolutely, babes" Alaska said as she gave Katya a hug "Now wipe those eyes and come with me"
"But-"
"No buts. Now come on"
"Fine" Katya said as she wiped her eyes
Katya held Alaska's hand as she rolled into her room and into her bathroom where Violet was waiting for her.
"Come on Alaska you smell" Violet said jokingly
"What! I do not smell" Alaska laughed jokingly
"Katya, I'm gonna go make some coffee, so you can look after Alaska. Okay?"
"Uhh yeah...okay"
"You'll be fine" Violet said reassuringly
Katya looked around awkwardly because she didn't know what to do first. Alaska saw this an decided to help her.
"Grab my arms"
"Huh? Oh ok"
Katya said
"Lift me on to the edge of the bath"
"Yeah"
"I'm gonna lower myself in and then you're gonna grab my legs and put them in. Okay?"
"Yeah" Katya said as she concentrated
"See it wasn't that hard, was it babes"
"Easy for you to say" Katya said as she began to wet Alaska's hair.
"Haha, but you still did it"
"Yeah, I suppose I did"
"You always doubt yourself but you're such a good person. I don't get why you do it"
"I don't know, I guess it's just a confidence thing probably"
"Well, I think you're amazing sooo"
"Aww, I love you babes"
Alaska laid there peacefully whilst Katya washed her. Katya drained the bath and lifted Alaska out of  the bath and onto the chair. She wrapped her in a towel and began to brush her hair and dry it with a towel, Alaska sat patiently, enjoying Katya's gentleness as she took care of her. She snuggled into Katya as she carried her into her room and placed her on the mat on the floor.
"What are you doing?" Alaska asked Katya feeling confused
"I thought we could do some stretches. The doctor said that it was good for you so I thought we could give it a try"
"Okay"
"Ok so you need to lie flat on your back with your arms by your side and I'm gonna lift your leg. 3...2...1 and lift" Katya said
Alaska could barely feel her legs being moved but could see her leg get higher and lower multiple times and the same for the other leg. She wished that she could just get up and walk but she knew that it wouldn't happen, so just lay there whilst Katya did the stretches on her leg.
"Katya"
"Yeah"
"Can we stop now? My legs really ache and I'm just really tired."
"Yeah sure, what did you think of it?"
"It was kind of weird, I could see them moving but I couldn't feel anything"
"That's what the doctor said would happen but eventually you'll start to feel something"
"I know but I just wish it wouldn't take so long" Alaska said as she began to tear up
"Oh baby" Katya said as she lifted Alaska into a hug
"It's been 3 months since the attack and nothing has changed. I can't walk. I can't feel my legs. I can't do anything for myself. I just wish I could get up and walk and that it had never happened"
"I know boo but you've made so much progress since then and you've got a long way to go but I know you can do it, I believe in you"
"Really" Alaska said as a sad smile crept on to her face.
"Of course I do babes"
"I love you Kati"
"I love you too Lasky" Katya said as she hugged her friend tighter "Come on babes let's get you into bed"
"M'kay, stay with me for a bit"
"Sure but you need to get some sleep, you've got a busy few days ahead of you"
"I know, but I'm kind of excited"
"Same boo" Katya said as she planted a gentle kiss on Alaska's forehead
Alaska was looking forward to the next week. Tomorrow she was going swimming with Violet then she was packing to go to the Season 6 finale. She was worried at what people would think about her. Would they treat her differently? Would people stop liking her? Alaska shrugged off the thoughts and snuggled into Katya's chest. She soon dozed off and lay in a peaceful sleep until she was woken up the next morning by Katya who was up and dressed already.
"Morning Lasky" Katya said chirpily
"What time is it?" Alaska said groggily as she rubbed her tired eyes
"Just gone 9 am"
"Why so early?"
"You're going swimming with Violet remember?"
"Oh yeah, but I don't have any-"
"Swimming trunks? I got you some this morning because I knew you'd forgotten" Katya said laughing
"Oh thanks" Alaska said laughing as well
"Chuck them on with a t-shirt and I'll pack your swim bag for you"
"Aaaggghhh! I can't catch" Alaska yelled as she put her hands in front of her face to protect it.
Katya was crying with laughter as she continued to pack the bags.
Alaska grunted as she pulled the trunks up her motionless legs but she finally managed to get them on. She transferred her self into her wheelchair and went over to her drawers and picked out a top. She looked in the mirror and was met with a pale looking man with unruly brown hair and a body so thin that you didn't have to breathe in that hard to see her ribs. She brushed her hair and tied it into a tiny man bun and started to brush her teeth. She thought about how ill she looked and how she used to take such pride in her appearance but now she was just skin and bones. She leaned closer into the mirror and ran her hand over the scar that the knife had given her. It had faded a lot but you could still see it clearly. She longed to have a beautiful body but she knew that there scars were permanent and she would have to live with them. She hadn't noticed the tear falling down her cheeks but wiped it away so Katya wouldn't see it. She left the bathroom and went over to were her phone was charging, she unplugged it and placed it in her knees. Katya was ready with Alaska bag when the doorbell went off.
"I'll get it" Katya said as Alaska rolled behind.
"Hey" Katya said as she opened the door and saw Violet.
"You ready?" Violet asked as she took Alaska's bag
"Yeah" Alaska replied " ill see you soon babes, love you" she said as she gave Katya a hug
"Love you too" Katya said as she closed the door behind her.
                              ~in Violets car~
"So are you looking forward to swimming?"
"I guess so.."
"I know you're not a very good swimmer but I swear on the queen that is Rupaul that I won't let you drown. Okay?"
"Okay"
~at the swimming pool~
"There's like nobody here" Alaska said as she sat on the edge of the pool
"I know, it's great!" Violet said beaming.
There was a mother with her child in the shallow end and a spotty looking teenager who was supposed to be lifeguarding but was more interested in his phone.
"Why don't you get in the pool" Violet asked as she got out and sat next to Alaska.
"I think I might be a bit scared of it" Alaska laughed nervously
"I'll help you, I'll keep you safe" Violet said
"Are you sure?"
"100%" Violet said as she got back into the pool
"Um okay" Alaska said hesitantly as she she lowered herself into the pool. "Agh it's cold!" she yelled
"haha, I knew you'd say that" Violet said as she held her hand out for Alaska to grab.
Alaska slowly built up more confidence as she began to swim independently and was soon able to swim quite far with out any help. She liked the freedom that it gave her, She didn't have to ask anybody for help. It was like it had never happened,she could be her, she could be Alaska. She was free.
~back at Katya's house~
Katya was taking advantage of Alaska being out so had decided to run herself a nice hot bath. She had gotten out of it and had a towel on her head, drying her freshly washed hair. She was watching Netflix when her phone went off. It was an unknown number. She panicked as a lump formed in the back of her throat. She hoped that Alaska and Violet were safe and answered it shakily.

Katya: H-hello?

Person on Phone: Hello, is this Brian McCook i am talking to?

Katya: Um-yes

Person on Phone: Hello, i'm one of the producers from World of Wonder.

Katya: Oh, uh okay?!

Person on Phone: You recently auditioned for Season 7  of RuPauls Drag Race. Am I right?

Katya: Yes I did.

Person on Phone: WELL CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE ON SEASON 7 OF RUPAULS DRAG RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katya: What! Really? Nooo you've got to be kidding me?!?!

Person on Phone: No jokes here my friend! You are 100% officially a cast member of Season 7!

Katya: Oh my God!! I don't know what to say! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Person on Phone: You're welcome!  I shall leave you to celebrate and further details will be sent your way, Goodbye.

Katya was speechless and this didn't happen very often. She had done it! She was on RuPauls Drag Race! She didn't know where to start. So many emotions and feelings were running through her head at once, She thought it might explode at any minute. Happiness. Shock. Excitement. Disbelief. Confidence. Confused. Proud. Guilt.

How would she tell Alaska that she was leaving her? She would be gone for over a month, Her precious 'Lasky would be without her. She knew how it would end; Alaska would be in tears. She couldn't be there when that happened. She would tell Alaska once she had left. When she wasn't there to see the hurt and tears in her eyes. The way her eyes would be come swollen and bloodshot from crying. The way the tears would roll down Alaska's precious face and stain her top. The way that Alaska would stay awake at night missing her best friend and soulmate. She felt more and more guilty but knew that eventually Alaska would understand. She knew what it was like to leave but not the person who was left. Alone.