Chapter Forty-one

"Please, just let me come with you. I'll do anything. I can't stand to be here when they fight." I beg looking up at Tori watching as she sighs before running her hand through her light brown hair.

"Fine, but that means no drinking and stuck with either me or one of my close friends"

"Deal." I give her a small smile before racing to grab my shoes. Running from her room to my own I find my shoes. Shoving them onto my sock covered feet I quickly tie the laces before standing up.

Sneaking back into Tori's room I find her looking at her phone before sending a quick text. Looking up she sees me, "You took long enough. Charlie is going to be here any minute."

Nodding I wait before thinking of our parents, "What will we tell Mother and Father?"
"If we have to tell them anything: I'm with Nicholas on a date," I scowl at his name, "and you're at Kara's house."

"But what if they call-"

"Relax lexa, they trust us-well mostly you-so they won't look into it too much."

Shaking my head and the nickname I mull over her words. Taking in a deep breath I try to get over the fact that we're lying to our parents. Muttering to myself, Don't worry, after all this is what you wanted. I try to relax like Tori said.

I watch as Tori peaks her head out of the ajar bedroom door. She snaps her head back towards me before motioning me to come to her. Walking forward I lean in to hear her whisper, "Charlie's here. Let's go."

"Okay." Following her out of the room she pauses at the end of the hallway looking around for any signs of our parents. Waving me forward I walk in front of her to the front door. Grasping the room temperature door knob I twist and pull forward. Warm air flows in from outside. Slipping out I walk down the steps listening as Tori follows. A door shuts behind me as I walk towards the car idling in front of the house. Quickly Walking towards the car Tori somehow gets in first. Upon me opening the door and getting inside Charlie turns around from the driver's seat.

"What's your younger sister doing here? Isn't it a bad idea for her to come with?"
"It's fine Char. I told her the rules if allowed to come and she promised to follow them."

With that Charlie drivers away from our neighborhood and out of Medford. Staring out the window I tune out their conversation until the radio is turned on.

Leaning forward I ask with a smile, "I love this song. Can you turn it up?"

"Yeah." Tori gives me a small smile back turning it up more than I had anticipated. As more songs come on we start singing along. We laugh as we scream out the lyrics half of the times guessing them wrong. Charlie smiles as Tori's voice cracked for a moment as we all forget the stresses of life. Charlie's blue eyes look at me in rearview mirror before focusing on the road in front of her. Trees blur past as if a second thought from everything around them. We start to slow down. As the sky grows dark she pulls over and turns around looking from Tori to me.

"Are you guys ready?" She asks before turning off the car and getting out. We all climb out of the car and look towards our destination. A small path off the side of the road. Charlie hands us each a pair of flashlights before saying, "It shouldn't be too far back in the woods."

Blinking I sit on the edge of my bed feeling dizzy. These memories keep coming back to me at the most random of times. It's a good thing that I'm alone now, I think looking around my messy room. Standing up I shake off the memory with a simple thought of, it has to be from the night of the party.

I grab my purse before walking towards my bedroom door. Pushing it open I walk down the hallway and into the kitchen. Grabbing the car keys off of the hook I promptly walk out the front door of the house and to my car. Once inside I start feeling the air conditioner blow out of the vents cooling me down and well as the hot car.

I glance over my shoulder before beginning to back out of the driveway. Forgetting everything that lies in the house that I used to call home I drive away. Out of the neighborhood I try to think of who to talk to because I know that if I don't I'll go crazy with all the information that I've learned.

Snapping out of my thoughts I realize where I'm driving to: Kara's house. Pulling off to the side of the road I shake my head as thoughts of our fights from last night come to mind. Thoughts of words that were spoken. If I can't talk to Kara or Heather about it then that leaves Ethan or Jared.

Out of the two who really lives closer? Ethan. I think before continuing to drive in the same direction, but this time to Ethan's house. Turning down their street I hardly give a glance to Kara's house and pullover across the street from Ethan's house.

Turning off the car I set the keys into my purse before unbuckling myself. Reaching for the door handle I pull while pushing the door open. Climbing out I lock it before glancing both ways for any cars. Seeing none I walk across the street and up the sidewalk. Glancing into the front window I see Kara and Ethan sitting side by side. Smiles are on both of their faces as they laugh.

A frown forms on my lips as I watch them. It's then I realize that my hands are curled into fists. Anger bubbles inside of me as I realize what is going on. Kara told Ethan about our fight that we had and how "insane" it all sounded. They're laughing at me any what I believe! I should've known that he'd betray me right along with her. After all they are dating now.

Turning away with anger coursing through my veins I walk back to my car in a hurry. Unlocking the door I get in before closing it behind me. Turning on the car I hear it let out a small groan which I ignore while looking over my shoulder for car, as I'm about to drive away my phone buzzes from a text. Looking down I see that it's from Jared.

We really need to talk right now. Come over to my house as soon as possible.

I'm coming over right now. I quickly type back before setting my phone aside. Driving away my thoughts keep returning back to Kara and Ethan laughing in his living room. Laughing about me. I can't believe that I ever considered them friends of mine. They turned their backs on me very quickly once they found out what is really going on. When I stupidly told them of Victoria's murder and my hunt for the killer. I should never had trusted them in the first place. I can't trust anyone in the sea of faces worn by liars. The worst part of it all is that the killer is still out there and they have to know by now that I'm looking for them. I wouldn't be surprised after all I have been going around asking questions.

Tightly gripping the steering wheel I turn right at the end of the street before coming at a stop at the intersection. Waiting at the red light I watch as cars drive pass. I force myself to not think about what Jared would want to talk to me about. He did seem to be very panicked about it. Whatever it was worried him. Which in turn worries me about the information he holds.

Blinking the thoughts away I watch as the light turns green causing my foot it press on the gas. The car lurches forward the cars behind me follow suit. Thinking of the quickest route to Jared's house I turn off of one main road onto a less busy road. The traffic behind me disappears from view as the area starts to become more familiar and I know that I'm very close to his house.

Turning on my blinker I turn down yet another street. Houses line this one like spectators in a parade forcing me to examine them. Looking for the one I know by heart and I've seen a thousand times.

The worn down house smiles at me as I pull into the driveway. The dead overwatered plants wave as I walk past while the green grass boasts of his vibrant color. A for-sale sign hangs in the front yard has been there for as long as I can remember. Shaking away the thought I walk up the cracked sidewalk to the grey front door that reminds me so much of Jared's eyes.

Knocking on the door I wait not long to see a urgent face and to feel a pull of a hand. Once I'm inside the house the door is quickly shut before I'm met with Jared repeatedly running his fingers through his hair. Glassy tired eyes glance towards me and back at the living room that is down the hall. He suddenly walks off down the hallway leaving me to follow him. He sits down on the couch before leaving me to do the same. Sitting down next to him he takes my hands in his before meeting my gaze.

"There's something I haven't told you Alexandria."