Change

It had not been a week that my brother came back from London.

"I am sick, my angel!"
That was the first time my mom said something negative to me in front of everyone.
"Ok! So mum, it is just malaria right?"
My dad and my mum looked at each other before my dad slowly bowed down his head.
"Skin Cancer!" She said before she started crying.
Why were they all crying! It is just skin cancer, right?
"Mom is gonna die?" Caroline stepped out to talk.
My brother was still resting his back on the wall, when I looked at him again. I could tell he was about to cry. There was about 5minutes of awkward silence, then my brother said something!
"Lies!"
Caroline then said,
"Yes, it is all lies! Mom is going to die so that dad can marry another wife and my life would be miserable forever!"
  "No! Your mum is not going to die, she started some therapy and there is a tendency she would undergo surgery because it is not in its terminal stage! She would be fine, I promise"
    Caroline quickly ran to my dad, putting her head on his chest and chanting"I am sorry, I was scared" 
     My mom was no more crying and Jack seemed relieved. But there was something I did not get, my mom is a clean freak, how did she get skin cancer?
    "Jade! Don't be scared, come to mummy. I am sick and I would be fine. I would be gone for a few months or even weeks, but don't be scared because mom is always with you anytime and every time" she said
     She did not look sick, her hair was not falling out like those movies I watched, she was not pale, in fact she looked so healthy, I could
Not tell she was sick. YET!

Then I slowly walked up to my brother, rested on his chest while he patted my hair
"Jack, it would be fine," I said.
It was like a movie, I could feel sad music playing in my spirit but I was not scared anymore, I was even planning to tell Helen, until my dad said "this news stays at home and no where else!"
My mom stood up, she was okay and I could not even see a sign of cancer. She was still the same beautiful woman I knew.
   "Jade, Jack, Caroline, Sweetheart, do you guys want to go to the Chinese buffet" she said
I knew my mom was back, she likes to go out a lot and her confidence gave me the assurance that she was going to be okey.

We all yelled Yes! The news about her cancer was partially forgotten and everyone was happy again. Oh I love my family!

Two weeks after, my parents started packing up my moms bags, I helped too. It was not a thing of Joy to see my mom leave for months. She said goodbye with confidence, she was the strongest woman I knew, I said bye, we all said bye and she smiled.

I had dreams about a person named cancer talking to me and telling me it would be fine.
Few weeks later, something weird started, Caroline and Jack were starting to have this unusual beef with my dad, they would not talk to him, neither would he talk to them. Ok! What was happening? I asked Jack, he said my dad was just being an asshole, I asked Caroline, she said my dad was just messing around.
Combining the two descriptions, it did not seem to make any sense.

So one day, my school closed really early because it was our school owner's birthday. I did not call Francis to pick me up, I walked home with Helen and some other friends. When I got home, the compound was empty, Caroline and Jack's car were not in sight except my Dad's. I entered the house, dropped my bag on the couch before running upstairs to ask him if I could eat the gift they gave us at school. I did not even knock, I just kicked open the door. The next thing that came out of my mouth was
"What the Fuck!" He was in bed with Rophiat, our maid.