Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Ethan

"To my Dad's house. If I know him he would have prepped it for something like this years ago," Sam said as she entered the driver's seat of her truck. We all piled in after her; the brown haired, blue eyed boy next to Sam with Nia, Mike and I in the back seats. Nia buried herself in Mike's arms while I held my sketchbook, almost in the same way.

 After Nia, that book is the most important thing in the world to me. It held all my memories, my thoughts my fears. That book was the only thing that made sense after our father passed away.

 Sam slipped the keys into the ignition and brought the metal contraption to life. The roar of the engine attracted the attention of the zombies who were wandering aimlessly around outside. Sam slammed her foot down sending us rocketing forward, mowing down any undead who crossed our path. We finally escaped the school and were speeding down a body littered road.

      We traveled through the chaotic streets in silence for a few minutes. 

      "Oh, God," Nia said through tears as she stared at the destruction that surrounded us. Mike shielded her eyes from the mutilated bodies and decomposing corpses. All of us stared in horror as the once thriving inhabitants of the streets now lived in death, with no purpose or hope and only a craving for flesh keeping them moving. All of us except Sam of course.

She had kept calm, focused, and emotionless almost. If not for her swift movement and brutal fighting technique I may have mistaken her for a zombie. I didn't want to trust her but she knew how to survive and she had kept Nia and the rest of us alive so far. I still wasn't sure of her motives though. I opened my sketchbook and flicked through drawings of people and places and things that would never be to a blank page and started sketching our new leader.

      "Oh shit."

      I looked up to see a huge group of undead waiting in a wall formation.

      "Well what's wrong? Just ram through them," Mike said in his arrogant tone.

      "There's no point. It would be like hitting a brick wall, they're too densely packed. Ethan, shoot us an opening," Sam ordered as she tossed me a silenced pistol and rolled down the side window for me.

 "Aim for the head. They can't function without their brain." I readied the weapon out the window and aimed for the front zombie hoping that he would topple the others. I pulled the trigger and the pistol recoiled into my hand. The shot spiraled up and completely missed. I readied the pistol again and fired it, bracing my hand this time. The shot fired into the zombie's shoulder. The zombie toppled to the ground taking out the others as it fell.

      "Sam, go!" I yelled as the undead created an opening. We sped through the gap, splattering the bodies.

     I passed the gun back to Sam who quickly snatched it from my grasp and held it to my head.

      "Try to give me an order, or call me Sam again and I'll blow your head off." Her voice was toneless and threatening. She slowly lowered the weapon and started to drive again.

      "Don't worry, she's like that to everyone," Jake whispered to me.

      "Bloody Hell. I'd hate to see her on a bad day."

      "Or worse, on her period." We both chuckled lightly until Jake received a smack from Samantha and in turn I received one from Nia.

      We drove on for about half an hour until we parked outside a lone building. It towered at least three stories high and possibly another three floors below. The wooden window frames and door looked damp and decayed. The slate roof seemed to hold many sunroofs that allowed a wide view of the surrounding area. The glass in the windows looked about four layers thick and was locked tight. The entire house was covered in vantage points. I peeked over the steel fence to see a trap door, possibly leading to a bunker. Samantha's father was obviously very paranoid. He had bought a building based on strategically points.

      "It looks like a dump," Mike bellowed, interrupting my thoughts.

      "It looks like home," Samantha almost whispered.