Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Ethan

      "Oh. O... Okay." I was unsure about it at first. But I thought that we needed fuel to survive. I left the tableand took off towards my bedroom to get ready for the task ahead. I slipped on my clothes from the day before. I slept in a pair of sweat pants that I found in the drawer. With my clothes on, I grabbed my only three possessions: My sketchbook, my pencil and my scissor blade. I readied them all on my belt and walked out to meet Samantha. I wondered though. If people annoyed her, then why choose me?

        I walked back into the kitchen to see Jake polishing off his bacon and Mike wondering why he had finished off his so fast. I looked over to Nia who was cleaning her plate. She put her plate aside and hugged me tight. I had become a custom to these spine-crushing hugs. She had the ability to somehow take away all of your anger, all of your fear with a single hug.

"Don’t worry sis. Samantha will keep me safe. Hopefully." She disengaged from the hug, my calming words not having much effect. I smiled in another attempt to comfort her.

"I'll try and get you some chocolate while we are there." A small smile grew on her face. She loved chocolate; I doubt she'd stay sane without it.

      "We'd better get going," came Samantha's voice from the doorway. I turned to see that she was wearing an armor like top with cargo trousers. She had a silenced pistol on one side of her hip, and an enormous knife on the other. Her pockets were without doubt filled with extra magazines and other items essential for our survival.

"Catch." She tossed me another silenced pistol that I caught awkwardly and slipped it in between my trousers and my side. "Alright. Let's get going." I followed her out of the room, just catching Mike giving her a distasteful look as he joined Nia at the sink. We got into the car and Samantha opened the garage door with a hidden garage door opener she kept under her seat. We drove out the gates and sped down the abandoned streets towards the gas station.

      We drove in silence for quite a while. It was obvious that we were both used to not talking. But I suddenly felt the urge to break the silence. "Um, about that family thing.

      "I told you, they've lived their lives. We haven't."

      "No it's not that. I just wanted to say that I'm fine with it. Nia's the only family I have left."

      "Oh. What happened to your parents?" I doubted she truly cared. She must have gotten bored of driving in silence.

      "My father... Was a drifter. A con man that only conned those who could afford to lose it, and who deserved it. Nia and I sometimes helped him out in some of his jobs. That's kind of how I developed such a passive and submissive nature. He usually put one on to lure in his marks."

      "What about your mother? Was she a drifter too?"

      "No. She did occasionally help, but she spent most of her time caring for us. She was diagnosed with cancer shortly after Nia’s tenth birthday and mine. My dad donated most of his money to cancer research after that. She didn't make it though." My head sank slightly.

     "And how did your father die?"

     "We were helping him with a con, when it turned horribly wrong. The mark saw that the bills were fake and had his gang shoot at us. My father protected us as we escaped." 

     "Oh. I'm sorry." Her apology wasn't very sincere, but I didn't really care. It was good to tell someone.

     We drove on in silence once again until we pulled up outside the gas station. "Damn it," Samantha said to herself. I looked out her window to see that zombies had beaten us to the gas station. Luckily they hadn't managed to blow it up yet. We got out of the car that was parked a safe distance away and cautiously walked over. Samantha readied her gun, but before she could fire, an idea sprouted in my head. I pushed down her arm slowly. "Save your bullets. We can't risk you hitting the gas."

      "Have you got a better idea?" I thought for a few seconds. It looked like the perfect time to test out my stealth theory.

      "I have an Idea, at least." I took the scissor blade from my belt. There weren't too many zombies and they were pretty well spaced out. This was the perfect testing ground for me. I crept up to the nearest zombie.

I crouched behind him and prepared myself. If I could pick the pocket of a security guard, I could silently kill an undead corpse. I kicked the back of its leg, causing it to fall into my grasp. Without making a sound, I thrust my blade through its skull.

I let it down silently and moved on to the next zombie, taking it out in the same manner. I took out all of the creatures near the gas this way. I sneaked behind the last of the five zombies in the area. I was gonna have some fun with this one. I kicked its leg from underneath it and placed my weapon in the place where its head would land. The living corpse became just a corpse again and I removed my blade from its head.

 I signaled for Samantha to come down. I turned back to the sight of the zombie that I thought I had just killed grabbing my arm. It started to pull me down until it suddenly stopped. It fell to the ground again, a small, circular hole in its head. 

      "Good job." She seemed slightly impressed, which made me slightly happier. "But don't get cocky. You might as well sign your own death certificate if you do that." She filled up a few small oil drums with gas while I slipped in the small store to grab a few chocolate bars for Nia and an energy drink for myself. Samantha and I carried the oil drums back up to the car and drove away in the same manner that we drove there, in silence.