You're such a heavenly view

The stars twinkled, having an appearance of twice as many as there were the day before.

"Maybe it's a sign that tomorrow will turn out unique," Aeryn shrugged.

"Maybe it's a sign that tomorrow will turn out like complete shit," Michael retorted, sitting next to her on the grass.

Aeryn rolled her eyes, slapping his shoulder. "Have a little more optimism."

"I rather not."

"You're such a downer."

Michael's eyebrows furrowed. "We have never went a night without seeing shooting stars."

"Except Febru—"

"I saw one."

"We were drunk! You probably imagined it," Aeryn chortled.

"Did not! I saw it with my own eyes."

"Your eyes are half blind."

Michael scoffed. "Are not."

"Are to," she argued.

"Are not."

"Are to! You used to wear g—"

Michael's hands flew to his ears. "La, la, la, I'm not listening! La, la, la."

Aeryn tried to pry his hands off of his head. "You're acting like a child, Clifford."

He unplugged his ears. "Back off, Morse Code."

"You're bullying me," she pouted, causing Michael to cackle.

"Sorry," he snickered, "Morse Code."

"Michael," Aeryn whined. He wrapped an arm around her before pulling her to the ground. She squealed, but they laughed anyway.

"Oh, didn't see you there," he quipped. His tongue poked out between his teeth, and Aeryn shamelessly stared at his lips. How had she never noticed?

She reached a finger up to poke his eyebrow piercing. "Never take this out."

He leaned forward, a surge of confidence rushed through him. He halted when his nose met hers, and whispered, "Okay."

The moon traversed across the sky at an alarming pace, but their perception of time had always been faulty; malfunctioning whenever they were near each other. Moments skipped like pebbles between the two, making time indecipherable and scrawled. Hours were seconds, yet minutes were years.

As they bounced comments off one another, ranting and raving about their day, and counted the stars in the sky, moments last mere eye blinks; their hearts beat faster than the seconds passing them. Even so, the instances they peer into each other's eyes, or sneak stolen glances of the other person, those simple seconds seemed to stretch across lifetimes.

"I can't believe we're graduating tomorrow," Aeryn breathed.

"It feels like yesterday when I was 7 years old, listening to you rant about your endless collection of toys," he teased.

Aeryn chuckled, nodding. "It feels like yesterday... but it feels like 11 years ago all the same."

Michael related, but he didn't voice his thoughts. Instead, he stared up at the sky full of stars, wondering how so many lights could fit in his best friend's eyes.

"I'm scared of growing up." His voice was quiet, drowning itself out, but still audible if one listened close enough.

Aeryn didn't respond, but turned to the side to face Michael and tangled their legs together as if it was human nature. Her head settled on his chest, and his nose nestled its way into her hair.

The pair continued to bicker and fight like any other friendship, but Aeryn couldn't have been more grateful that she forgave Michael.

Taking the advice from a cheesy Pinterest post, she would never regret anything that made her smile, and Michael sure knew how to make the sun shine on even her gloomiest days.

"Me, too," Aeryn murmured. "I'm scared of growing up, too."