Chapter Eleven

After that, getting out of the building was easier than I expected.

It was as if they had barely anyone on security. Most of the halls were empty of guards, and whenever we encountered somebody, we made sure to stay a good couple hallways away from them. The only real obstacle we faced was actually finding our way out.

I wasn't particularly sure of the building's layout. It was kind of just a bunch of  crisscrossing wooden hallways. Almost like a maze. But not too complicated.

The odd thing about the place was that we didn't really see any gang slaves like what we would have been. I guess that could just be due to them being elsewhere, but I was expecting to see at least someone.

We even passed by one of their people - inferred due to the gun strapped at his hip - mopping the floor. Like, personally, if I had an army of slaves, I think I would assign cleaning jobs first. Not saying that I was ever going to end up in possession of such an army, but theoretically.

Somehow, we made it outside. Straight out some side entrance that gave us a one way trip into sunny desert. I winced. It was way too bright.

January came to a stop next to me, and I had to grab her arm so she wouldn't slip on the sand. I'd nearly done the same thing when I first came out.

Now, for the hardest part of the plan: actually finding a way back.

"Um....," January muttered. I agreed. It wasn't really a statement, but I wasn't sure if there was a way to describe what lie ahead.

It was really just endless, sand. Just like what surrounded our encampment. We had no maps, no directions, just sand upon sand upon sand...

Oh, and a tiny ruined town to the north.

We also had to worry about the people in the building behind us. I glanced back. The structure itself was huge and all wood, but there weren't any people who could see us. I knew that might change once we started walking. And they could find Raven's unconscious body any minute now - the second that happened they'd rush out and see us standing here.

So, essentially, we had to run for our lives, and hope nobody would pay us any attention.

I looked at January, and she met my gaze. "The town."

She nodded. I didn't have to say anything else.

We took off as best as we could, slipping in the sand in our escape.

__________________________________

Once we made it to the town, we went to the first - and only - motel we could find.

In reality, we didn't need to go to a motel. It was kind of pointless. It wasn't like anyone was living in any of the surrounding houses anyway. Or at least, not many people were. Like the city in which we'd been captured, this cluster of buildings had a community.

I was a little surprised by that. I was so used to making myself believe that there were so few people left outside of the Equator. But now, I've come upon two villages of people, still surviving, if just barely.

This town was a little different. Rather than tall, broken skyscrapers, the buildings were lower to the ground and smaller. There were fewer of them too. We had to walk by a lot of smaller houses, before reaching the more inner buildings. Here, we found old fast food places, grocery stores, and the motel.

The motel was kind of a mess, but it was better than nothing. The exterior was simple - dark wood, a sign with the places name, and a bunch of stairs leading to the upper level rooms. It did smell a little funny. Like rotten food and nature. It was easy to find the source of the rotten food smell - the second we walked into the lobby, we noticed fridge where the smell wafted out of. I wasn't really sure why they'd have a fridge. Maybe they couldn't afford to put one in each of the rooms.

Now, the two of us had broken into one of the upper level rooms. I guess it couldn't exactly be called breaking in, since we technically just stole a key from behind the front desk. We technically didn't break anything in.

The room was small, but not so small to be uncomfortable. We were going to have to share a bed. I mean, sure, we could have just gotten two rooms, but we realized we were probably safer together than apart. And honestly, at any second, somebody from that gang could be knocking down our door.

There was also the problem of finding something to eat and drink. We weren't exactly supplied for such a trip. I, personally, had nothing but what I was wearing. I was also starving. I couldn't remember the last time I'd eaten.

"Do you think there's anything left in this place that hasn't been looted?" I asked January, from where I sat on the sofa. It squeaked as I brought my knees to my chest.

She was lying on the bed, sorting through handfuls of soaps, shampoos, and conditioners. This may sound stupid, but one of our first mutual thoughts when we got here was to clean up. And fortunately, each room was stocked with mini soaps and such. It wasn't that hard for us to get all of the keys and go door to door, stealing all of it. Honestly, it was one of the only things the motel actually had to offer. Most of the other utilities had been ripped out of rooms. I guess nobody else had thought of hygiene in the apocalypse.

So, yeah. I guess we somewhat had a plan. Clean. Scourge the town for something to eat. Likely not find something to eat. And then...

Well, I wasn't sure what to do then. We hadn't talked about it. It hurt too much to think about the fact that we'd been left behind. We really had nowhere to go.

I knew we had to go back, though. Asten was there...what if they traded him for something next?

It took January so long to answer that I almost forgot what I'd asked. She was so engrossed in sorting. "Probably not. But you can check. I'll be using some of these while you do."

She kept her fingers busy as she talked. It was hard to tell how she was feeling about all of this. I knew I felt horrible...weak...abused by this group who'd promised us so much. Whatever. Like I said, we couldn't think about that.

I got up with a sigh. There wasn't much I could use as a weapon. I figured I'd have to take a risk and go without one. Fortunately, I had a feeling that the few people still hiding out here were friendly. January and I had been rummaging around this place for hours and had yet to be bothered. They seemed to mind their own business. I just had to avoid trespassing on anyone's property.

I shoved my boots back on and walked to the door tiredly. I just hoped that there'd be something. Anything. My stomach was growling.

But when I opened the door, I ran straight into somebody.

Not just anybody.

"Kyan?"