Chapter Thirty-Five

"Now what?" Max asked, sitting up from his pretend-sleep position.

I just shook my head sadly. I really did not know. That was pretty much our only shot. "We hope he comes around...his curiosity will hopefully get the better of him," I said, before sitting down with my back against the border, facing Asten.

How had we even ended up here? It felt like years since I'd been trudging through the snow and ice alone. I guess this was better than being captured by a gang, but still.

Somehow, Asten seemed to know where my thoughts were. "You know, before all of this, before meeting you and everyone else, I don't think I really cared about anything."

I met Asten's gaze. I understood what he meant. When all that mattered was breathing, it was hard to really want to care about anything. It was hard to care about politics or who else may still be alive. It was even hard to care about the people I'd watched die.

Nothing really mattered. Nothing but breathing. Not until...

"But what about the slaves...?" I asked, remembering that day seemingly so long ago. When we'd met, in the grocery store with the slave trade. It still came back to me in full definition.

He smiled sadly to himself.

I frowned.

The fact that he wasn't responding was making me think...

"Wait...you did try to save Jadyn and Axel because you thought it was wrong, right?" I asked, suddenly feeling my heart slow in my chest. That's why I'd gone back for them. Because it was so morally wrong that I couldn't fathom letting it go.

Max cut in before he could answer. "You guys tried saving slaves? Man, I thought you two were crazy before but now...I'm starting to wonder why I'm still with you guys."

Asten seemed oddly grateful for the interruption. I just sighed. "Where are you from anyway, Max?"

Max looked a little shocked at that. Like he didn't even know where to begin. "Like...before the snow? After the snow? Right before you found me?" he asked.

I shrugged.

"Well...originally, I'm from Massachusetts. Near Boston. It was usually pretty chilly. I feel bad for all the southerners who can't stand the cold. They probably fainted at the sight of a snowflake...you know..."

Max kept talking, but internally, my mind was elsewhere. My worries began to overtake me, and all I could think was how January and Kyan were at that moment. Were they afraid? Did they think they wouldn't come for us? What on Earth was going on with them?

Just as my mind kept going to the point where I didn't think I could take it anymore, the gym door opened again. It was the dark haired boy.

He moved towards the barrier, a determined look on his face. He crossed his arms about a foot away.

"Are you here to just rub in the fact we're still your prisoners? If so, you can kindly leave. We get it. We're trapped," Max said in irritation.

The boy just cocked his head, looking simply curious. Then, he looked straight at me. "Tell me this, why do you need to get out so badly?"

I stood up and crossed my arms, matching his stance. "Some friends of ours were captured by the Equator. We were with a rebel camp when it happened. We need to get out so we can save them before it's too late...we need to rescue them before the Equator does whatever they do with people they dislike."

"And they dislike you, why?"

"Because we escaped them," I replied matter-of-factly. I didn't know why he was suddenly so curious.

Then, he seemed to relax. He looked at me, then put a palm against a square of the barrier. Unlike other times, his palm didn't go through. Then, there was a soft hissing sound.

"I'm letting you go," he said.

My mouth was agape. I didn't even know what to say.

"Not because I want to make a deal with you, and not because I totally trust you. I'm letting you go because I heard your conversation over the security cameras. Saving slaves...that's unheard of. And it seems like you have good enough intentions. All I ask is that you don't inform anyone of our existence...if you do, trust me, we'll know. We have eyes and ears everywhere."

I nodded sharply. Both Asten and Max were standing now, probably just as surprised as I was.

"Can I ask something?" I said before the dark-haired boy could turn away. He considered it for a second before nodding. "Where did you even get this technology from?"

The boy just smirked, and I wasn't sure he'd answer. Then, he did. "You're not the only ones the Equator dislikes."

He turned and left without another word.