Chapter Thirteen

I can't help the smile splitting my face in half as I walk through the front door. There's no use trying to hide it, it's impossible. Today was perfect. From meeting Jay's mother to releasing my first fish to making out under the stars, it's hard to imagine a more perfect day.

As I ascend the stairs to my room, I rest a hand over my heart. My sated, content, but worn-out heart. It aches from over-exertion and I rub at the spot where my breastbone was fused back together after my transplant.

Worth it.

Totally worth it.

The door to my bedroom is closed, so I push it open and flick on the overhead light. When my eyes adjust, I gasp in shock as another wave of adrenaline hits me.

"Jesus Christ."

I close my eyes, breathe in through my nose, then look up. But he's still there.

"I thought you were going to get rid of it."

I take in Jake's clenched jaw, his probing eyes, and the hands fisted at his sides. Then, I look at the Ouija board resting on my desk.

Of the handful of times Jake has visited, I've come to notice two distinct sides to him.

Playful.

And pissed off.

Right now, I'm dealing with the latter.

"I will." I toss my bag to the floor and turn away. I don't have the energy for this tonight.

"Get rid of it now, Bree." He's right in front of me now, inches away instead of across the room. "Burn it. Before something bad happens."

"Okay, calm down!" I raise my hands defensively, hoping he'll simmer down. "I haven't even touched the thing again and I don't plan to."

Jake, challenging my stance, crosses his arms and narrows his eyes. The temperature plummets, but I hold my ground.

"Burn it, and it all goes away."

I roll my eyes. "Yeah, that's usually what happens when you burn something."

Jake shakes his head. "No, not the board. That." He points one finger at my chest and I look down at my scar. "The pain."

Okay. Now he has my attention.

"What pain?"

Jake's head falls forward with a sigh. "You're a horrible liar, you know that?"

"It doesn't hurt," I argue. "Sometimes there's...discomfort, but that's it. And besides, what does that have to do with a stupid Ouija board anyway?"

Jake turns, and the blue of his eyes, the brightness behind them, captivate me. I hold my breath and goosebumps explode down my arms as he presses a hand to my chest.

And I can feel it.

I can feel him.

Cold pressure. Like I'm being buried alive beneath ten tons of snow. It radiates through me, shocking my system, stealing my breath, kicking my heart—his heart—into overdrive.

"This is the only piece of me that's still alive," he says, gazing at my parted lips. "And as long as I'm here, it can't beat for you. It's still beating for me."

I swallow to relieve the burning tension in my throat. "If I burn it...my heart—your heart—will beat normal again? Like everyone else's?"

"Yes."

Blue eyes blaze, swirling and heightening the tension, the emotion, and the attraction brewing between us.

The fact that I'm attracted to him shouldn't surprise me, but it does. He's dead. His heart is beating in my chest, supplying my body with oxygen. Attraction should be the last thing I'm feeling.