Chapter Fifteen

After a day on the lake spent kayaking and baking in the sun, we hike back up to our campsite on top of a bluff. Without the lamplight from the overpopulated sites below, we have a gorgeous, unabstructed view of the stars, and it's magical.

We were told that our little slice of heaven would be private, but when we arrive, there's already another group laying claim to one of the few places you can pitch tents on the rocky terrain. The rowdy bunch looks as if they've been partying for quite some time, if the beer and liquor bottles scattered around their fire is any indication.

"I'm gonna hike back down and get the rest of our stuff from the car," Carter says, jutting a thumb over his shoulder. "Anyone care to help?"

"I'll go!" Veronica shoots up out of her lawn chair, but wobbles on her feet.

"Nope." Carter shakes his head. "Don't think I didn't see you sneak three wine coolers out of the cooler earlier. I don't need you rolling your drunk ass all the way back down to the lake."

Veronica pouts, but plants her butt back in her chair. My heart squeezes at the gesture, even though Veronica doesn't appreciate it. She doesn't see the changes he's made for her. Even though it's small, right now he's proving that he'll go out of his way to make sure Veronica is happy, cared for, and above all, safe.

"I'll go," Nora volunteers.

Sydney hops off the ground and dusts herself off as well. "Me too. I need to pee anyway."

"Okay, grab the flashlights. You coming, Jay?"

Jay looks up from the firewood he's laying down, then glances over at the other campers.

"Nah, man. I'll stay here."

Carter follows his gaze, then nods. Neither of them trust the other campers, and I don't blame them. They're growing louder and more intrusive by the minute.

As my friends disappear into the night, I open a fresh drink and tilt my head back, admiring the stars while trying to tune out the party going on a few yards away. They really are a buzzkill.

"Hey you." I turn to find Jay smiling and patting his lap. "Come here."

He doesn't have to tell me twice.

I saunter over and press my body against his, letting my legs drape over his as his arms wind tightly around my waist.

"It's beautiful out here," I say, looking up to continue my stargazing.

"Yeah. It is." He takes a deep breath and I feel nervous energy rolling off him in waves.

"You okay?"

He nuzzles his nose into my neck, sending a barrage of tingles racing up and down my arms, and I feel him smile. "Never better."

Our eyes drift from the stars, down to the flames of the fire, then back up again. Patiently, I wait for him to work through whatever's going on in his head. Eventually, he sighs and leans in close and I tilt my head, ready to listen to whatever it is he has to say.

"You know," he whispers, "I've loved this heart since before I was born."

An image of Jake appears behind my closed eyes and I fight to banish it.

"I know."

Jay reaches around and grabs my hands, threading his fingers through mine. He kisses the skin at my neck, just beneath my hairline.

"Loved it then. Love it now."

I lean my head back, content to snuggle into him, into his love. He places a hand over my heart and when I turn to face him, something sparks between us. It's hot and bright and out of control, and it reinforces everything I've ever felt for Jay.